Chanticleer and the Fox (1958)

by Geoffrey Chaucer

Other authors: Barbara Cooney (Illustrator)

A sly fox tries to outwit a proud rooster through the use of flattery.

This book is a children's version of Geoffrey Chaucer's "Nun's Priest's Tale," and is about the prized rooster on an old widow's farm. The rooster, Chanticleer has a nightmare about a fox attacking him, but the hen tell him he is just being a coward. The rooster is proven right when the fox comes and kidnaps the rooster. This story would be an excellent example of personification of animals, similes and metaphors, and story's that end with a moral. The book presents a simple story, but some of the language structures and word choices may be unfamiliar because the original story is from the 1300s. ( )
  mpl013 | Nov 8, 2020 |
Chanticleer the Rooster is known for his beautiful voice. When the fox asks him to sing, he is snatched up! But Fox learns that Chanticleer is even smarter than he is. Traditional illustrations, and given the year it was written I appreciate the women as the owners of the farm. ( )
  lisaladdvt | Jun 29, 2019 |
I did not enjoy this book too much. Being set back in such an old time, I found it difficult for me to even stay focus and comprehend what I was reading. I do not believe a young students would feel any different. The intense ending if the fox taking Chanticleer also made me feel that this may not be appropriate for young students. I believe the book is well written, however, I did not enjoy it and do not believe I would read this to my students. ( )
  arizzo | Aug 30, 2018 |
At first when I read this book I thought this was nice book and it set back in the medieval times. Well, it took a turn for me when I was reading the description of the fox taking the rooster. I am proud chicken farmer and my rooster and hens are pets to my family, I understand elements of nature happen as well, but this was a little much for me to read. I got through it and I gave the suggested grades of 1st-3rd, but I think that is being very generous. My 1st grade son would be able to read it and handle it, but other children his age? I was sketchy with it. I do not think I will have this book in my classroom for the students to read, but if they were to pull it from the library I would support them and answer any questions they might have. ( )
  Ashley.Miller | Aug 30, 2018 |
Perhaps a little long-winded for today's young listeners, but it would probably make for a good family read. Despite the simple story, there are lots of discussion points.

For just one example, the widow 'had only three large sows, three cows, and also a sheep called Molly.' Then we meet Chanticleer and his harem of seven hens - so the natural question is, why didn't they count as the widow's property? (My guess would be that they're more taken-for-granted, as everyone had chickens, but to own the other animals was more notable, indicative of more success.)

And though there are lots of words, they're worth reading aloud. The rhythm and color and metaphor do help us remember the source, even if one has never actually read Chaucer. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

Geoffrey Chaucerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cooney, BarbaraIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
for Phoebe
Once upon a time a poor widow, getting on in years, lived in a small cottage beside a grove which stood in a little valley.

A sly fox tries to outwit a proud rooster through the use of flattery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,284,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible