The Dhammapada

by Anonymous

Other authors: Sangharakshita (Translator)

The Dhammapada, the Pali version of one of the most popular texts of the Buddhist canon, ranks among the classics of the world's great religious literature.Like all religious texts in Pali, the Dhammapada belongs to the Therevada school of the Buddhist tradition, adherents of which are now found primarily in Kampuchea, Laos, Sri Lanka, and Thailand. Dhammapada, or 'sayings of the dhamma', is taken to be a collection of the utterances of the Buddhahimself. Taken together, the verses form a key body of teaching within Buddhism, a guiding voice along the struggle-laden path towards true enlightenment, or Nirvana. However, the appeal of these epithets of wisdom extends beyond its religious heritage to a general and universal spirituality.This edition provides an introduction and notes which examine the impact that the text has had within the Buddhist heritage through the centuries.… (more)

English (19)  French (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (22)
The Dhammapada is a collection of aphorisms that illustrate the moral teachings of Buddha - the spiritual path to the supreme Truth. Probably compiled in the third century BCE, the verses are arranged according to theme, covering ideas such as self-possession, good and evil, watchfulness and endurance. Together they describe how an individual can attain the enlightenment of Nirvana, the supreme goal of Buddhism. The road to Nirvana, as illustrated in The Dhammapada, is narrow and difficult to negotiate, but the reward of eternal life gives hope and determination to the traveller.
  Langri_Tangpa_Centre | Feb 23, 2021 |
I'm not silly enough to review the Dhammapada; I'm reviewing this edition. So, just know that the Roebuck translation in Penguin Classics is probably not great if you don't know much about Buddhism, but is glorious if you do. The notes are mostly stories that have been used to explain individual verses, which are often very fun, and give you more insight into the religion than more sanitized, Western readings (in which Buddhism is mostly about stabilizing your brain-wave patterns).

Roebuck's introduction focuses on the textual history of the Dhammapada, which is useful for some scholarly purposes, I'm sure, but, again, not very useful if you're coming to ancient Buddhism for the first time. The glossary is very useful, though.

So, all in all, a very nice edition. The translation is readable without straining for poetry, which I liked. ( )
  stillatim | Oct 23, 2020 |
The teachings of Buddha in twenty-six poems or chapters total 423 verses. They have been ""transcreated"" here by a young Sanskrit scholar from the original Pali in a direct, contemporary idiom. They comprise a complete expression of Buddhist thought--about the nature of suffering and cessation of suffering, the wise man and the fool, craving, anger, punishment, the enlightened one, the saint. One must follow the eight-fold way of right views, right intentions, right speech, right action, etc., and ""Like a connoisseur picking a flower, the good man chooses Dhamma,"" so that he may become ""loving, fearless, serene."" A cleanness of line and phrasing characterizes this translation and is appropriate to a text which even in the reading frees the mind of the banal, the mundane and the transitory.
  PSZC | Jan 2, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Over the summer I've collected Penguin's Little Black Classics, a collection of 80 little booklets from all parts of world literature. Now, I'm reading them in a random order.

This booklet contains 'Captivating aphorisms illustrating the Buddhist dhamma, or moral system. '

I must admit that I read and rated it purely based on reading it as a piece of literature, rather than spiritual. And, to be quite frank, it was not an easy read. It was not even a nice read. The aphorisms (at least the ones collected) are often almost the same and just stated slightly different, or one is stating it positively and another one negatively. This made it so far my least favourite of the Little Black Classics even though I thought it was interesting to read something for a change that I perhaps wouldn't have picked up on my own. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
There is wisdom here hidden in verse form and covered over with years of translation. After decoding it is a great insight into Goatama Buddha, ( )
  jefware | Jun 10, 2018 |

Juan MascaróTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mascaró, JuanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Müller, Friedrich MaxTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Valvanne, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think.
What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow; our life is the creation of our mind.

Nilgiri Press

An edition of this book was published by Nilgiri Press.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,001,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible