Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Tuesdays with Morrie (original 1997; edition 2000)

by Mitch Albom

A sportswriter conveys the wisdom of his late mentor, professor Morrie Schwartz, recounting their weekly conversations as Schwartz lay dying. Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher, or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, helped you see the world as a more profound place, gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded, and the world seemed colder. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you, receive wisdom for your busy life today the way you once did when you were younger? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying, Morrie visited with Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final "class", lessons in how to live. Tuesdays with Morrie is a magical chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.… (more)
Member:Z_Brarian
Title:Tuesdays with Morrie
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Warner, Paperback, 210 pages

Work Information

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom (Author) (1997)

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch (bell7)
    bell7: Both recount lessons learned by a man who doesn't have long to live.
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (lesleymc)
    Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (MyriadBooks)
    Morrie: In His Own Words by Morrie Schwartz (Anonymous user)
    The End of Your Life Book Club by Will Schwalbe (glade1)
    glade1: Another touching memoir discussing death and dying, this one told by a son about his mother's illness and death.
    Giving: How Each of Us Can Change the World by Bill Clinton (krizia_lazaro)
    A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks (MyriadBooks)

English (340)  Spanish (10)  German (4)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (361)
It puts everything back in perspective. I loved hearing the author read the book, and the actual interview at the end. ( )
  LaPhenix | Jul 8, 2024 |
Horribly overrated. The idea is great, but the author doesn't do it justice. Sappy and sentimental; should have been written by a more experienced/skilled literary writer (not a sports columnist). ( )
  prairiemage | May 29, 2024 |
1. Summary: Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, and gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly twenty years ago. Mitch Albom rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying of ALS, Mitch visited Morrie in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final 'class': lessons in how to live.
2. Ted Koppel Nightline interview, as mentioned in the book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtYyT6Hl3ms
3. Author interview, 25 years of Tuesdays with Morrie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg95u9q5Z3Q
4. Learning objectives and themes: https://www.prestwickhouse.com/blog/post/2020/03/how-to-teach-tuesdays-with-morr...
5. Unit lesson plans and activities: https://donnellydailyapple.com/category/high-school/tuesdays-with-morrie-unit/
6. Lesson plans including discussion prompts: https://www.varsitytutors.com/englishteacher/albom
7. Activity pack: https://www.tpet.com/content/PHSamples/TuesdaysMorrieACTPKs.pdf ( )
  juliasmith22 | Mar 17, 2024 |
Enlightenment
  BooksInMirror | Feb 19, 2024 |

I read this book in 2017 and needed to pick up something I know I will enjoy. This just made me reflect that life is too short and that I need to focus on what matters. Tuesdays with Morrie is perhaps the best-known account of an individual’s experience with ALS. It is a deeply moving story about Albums’ re-uniting with his beloved teacher and mentor, Morrie Schwartz, during Schwartz’s final months of life as he succumbs to the ravaging effects of the disease. The student relates how his teacher chose to use his illness as an opportunity to study how to die, but in the process, Morrie extracts lesson after lesson about how to live. This work is a heartwarming and heartbreaking tribute to a deeply insightful human being. It is drenched with wisdom and insight about love, life and appreciation. But it is also a story about a man who accepted the notion that ALS is inescapably terminal, and chose to derive something good from a bad situation.
  b00kdarling87 | Jan 7, 2024 |
The deceptively simple story of a deathbed seminar
on life. It is as sweet and as nourishing as fresh summer corn.
added by Shortride | editUSA Today, Bob Minzesheimer (pay site) (Sep 4, 1997)

Albom, MitchAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Van Dam, Irmasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Viitanen, Raijasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated
To my brother, Peter,
The bravest person I know.
The last class of my old professor's life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves.
“I believe in being fully present,” Morrie said. “That means you should be with the person you’re with. When I’m talking to you now, Mitch, I try to keep focused only on what is going on between us. I am not thinking about something we said last week. I am not thinking of what’s coming up this Friday. I am not thinking about doing another Koppel show, or about what medications I’m taking. I am talking to you. I am thinking about you.”

This true story reminds us of the affection and gratitude that many of us still feel for the significant mentors of our past.
Mentor is dying
shares wisdom on life
we are richer now
(sullijo)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,310,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible