The Silence of the Sea by Vercors

English (4)  Italian (3)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
I'd read the title story at university; re-reading it now I'm less sympathetic to the niece randomly falling in love with this random German angst-boy, but still approve her protest (though I also hope she's secretly doing something else for the Resistance!)

And all these stories I'd never read, especially L'imprimerie de Verdun which so eerily conveys the "But I didn't realise voting for a tiger would mean people would get eaten!" plaints we see repeating themselves today... ( )
  zeborah | Jan 1, 2018 |
Here unfolds an unbelievable alternative reaction to the horror of Nazi occupation in France. The words are like bells tolling toward an inexorable yet still unknown and possibly devastating ending. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jul 6, 2016 |
Short novella notable more for the circumstances of its publication than for its literary merit. Initially an invocation of passive resistance, it seques into a warning against the inherent viciousness of Nazism. Stokes' historical introduction is far more informative than Brown's literary introduction but the real interest of their 1991 version is the publication of Connelly's translation alongside Bruller's original French. ( )
  TheoClarke | Sep 27, 2010 |
This book holds a special place in my heart because it was the first "real" book I read in French.
  anne07 | May 21, 2007 |
A la mémoire de SAINT-POL-ROUX, Poète assassiné.
Il fut précédé par un grand déploiement d'appareil militaire.
"Je vous souhaite une bonne nuit"
This is a stand-alone edition of "Le Silence de la mer" / "The Silence of the Sea". Please do not combine with collections of "Le Silence de la mer et autres recits" / "The Silence of the Sea and Other Stories".
This is a stand-alone edition of "Le Silence de la mer". Please do not combine with collections of "Le Silence de la mer et autres recits" or "The Silence of the Sea and Other Stories".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:49 -0400)

This first bilingual edition of France's most enduring wartime novel introduces Vercors's famous tale to a generation without personal experience of World War II who may not be able to read it in its original language. Readers are assisted with a historical and literary introduction, explanatory notes, a glossary of French terms and a select bibliography.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,474,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible