Emporium: Stories (2002)

by Adam Johnson

* By the winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction 2013 and the EFG/Sunday Times Best Short Story Award 2014 * 'An idiosyncratic and compelling voice' Michiko Kakutani, New York Times An ATF raid, a moonshot gone wrong, a busload of female cancer victims determined to live life to the fullest - these are some of the compelling themes explored in this funny, sad, brilliantly bizarre debut collection. A lovesick teenage Cajun girl, a gay astrophysicist, a teenage sniper on Los Angeles police payroll, a post apocalyptic bulletproof-vest salesman - each seeks connection and meaning in landscapes made uncertain by the voids parents and lovers should fill.… (more)

Adam Johnson is a great writer. Having just won the National Book Award for "Fortune Smiles", he joins rarefied status as a Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award winner. This book is his first and consists of short stories. He deals with the usual issues of growing up, feeling alienated, dealing with parents and kids, but he does it in a creative setting. He has a story about a 15 year teen sniper that works in Silicon valley shooting terrorists that go after software companies. This is a backdrop to his coming of age and dealing with a first love. Another story is a wild creative romp about Canada developing a moon shot in the early sixties. The writing is a great and he is very entertaining. It is easy to see from this first output how he developed into one of our best writers. Check him out. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Feb 18, 2016 |
This felt like a pale George Saunders imitation to me - very few of the stories really engaged me at all. ( )
  mjlivi | Feb 2, 2016 |
to the boxy loop of youth
When I reach the rooftop, I pull the dustcovers off my rifle scope and head for a folding chair leaned up against an air-conditioning unit -- right where I left it the last time I was here.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,910,341 books! | Top bar: Always visible