The Vampire Lestat

by Anne Rice

Series: The Vampire Chronicles (2)

12,434119409 (3.9)188
Once an aristocrat in the heady days of pre-revolutionary France, now Lestat is a rockstar in the demonic, shimmering 1980s. He rushes through the centuries in search of others like him, seeking answers to the mystery of his terrifying exsitence. His story, the second volume in Anne Rice's best-selling Vampire Chronicles, is mesmerizing, passionate, and thrilling. "From the Paperback edition."… (more)
    Liam by KV Taylor (MinaKelly)
    The Taker by Alma Katsu (becksdakex)
    Natural History by Joan Perucho (elenchus)
    elenchus: Perucho establishes a fine mood, equally eerie as Rice but much different. The Vampire here is in the shadows rather than pouring out a confessional to the reader, and is all the more effective for it.

English (115)  German (2)  All languages (117)
A vampire origin story? Sure why not. The circumstances which led Lestat to be who he is. Well written and a tad spookier than interview. We don't have as much of the self pity and depression as the first book. Apparently Before she died Anne Rice made the comment that the readers were not qualified to have an opinion on her material. It is unfortunate that she become one of those writers who like the smell of her own toots. ( )
  Joe73 | May 19, 2022 |
hb
  5083mitzi | Apr 2, 2022 |
Overall I liked it. Part 7 onwards is a 4 star, but I can't forget that for more than half a book I was mostly rolling my eyes. Marius, was probably my favorite character, followed by Gabrielle.
I kinda want to continue, but the writing bothers me, so we'll see what happens after the New Year. ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
I ended 2009 by wrapping up my reading of Interview with the Vampire, so it made sense for me to start up the new year by reading the follow up novel, The Vampire Lestat.

While reading Interview, I got the sense that none of the characters struck my empathy. It was hard for me to relate to its narrator, Louis. It created unlovable vampires that, at first, I thought it was my undead bias - I prefer zombies, after all. So when I picked up Lestat, I was already bracing for another novel that would drone on forever and leave me hating the creator of the first book's narrator.

The way this book was written had the ability to keep my attention for longer periods, even though at times it seemed to go on forever. Taking me longer than I would have liked, it's the first book of the year. (It's also the first book of my 100 book challenge of 2010 - the first year I attempt reaching that goal.)

There are times, however, that I began to question Lestat's ability to tell the story - how reliable could he have been? He mentioned Interview with the Vampire within his introduction piece, stated that there were exaggerations in Louis's story and so on. It seemed he set off to write a book about his side of the story - not much different, I suppose, when the Big Bad Wolf told his story about the Three Little Pigs.

In the end, however, it doesn't really matter. Lestat's the ring leader of this show despite his loathsome introduction in Interview. I'll stomach him for one - possibly two - more books and then I may turn my back on him forever. (more insight) ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
Vampire Lestat, The (Vampire Chronicles) by Anne Rice (1993)
  arosoff | Jul 11, 2021 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Goldmann (9842)

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

[None]
This book is dedicated with love to Stan Rice, Karen O'Brien, and Allen Daviau
I am the vampire Lestat. I'm immortal. More or less.

See also the Wikipedia article, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vamp...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,592,587 books! | Top bar: Always visible