The Vampire Lestat by Anne Rice

The Vampire Lestat (1985)

by Anne Rice

Series: The Vampire Chronicles (2)

10,05190284 (3.92)161
    Liam (The Family #1) by KV Taylor (MinaKelly)
    The Taker by Alma Katsu (becksdakex)
    Les Histories naturals by Joan Perucho (elenchus)
    elenchus: Perucho establishes a fine mood, equally eerie as Rice but much different. The Vampire here is in the shadows rather than pouring out a confessional to the reader, and is all the more effective for it.

English (87)  German (2)  All languages (89)
I thoroughly enjoyed the petulant, bratty characteristics of Lestat... it made him more relatable. Most vampires are depicted as otherworldly, here we have one with character. It was an interesting read with just enough twists to keep you hooked. If you haven't yet, I would recommend reading some of Ms. Rice's books. ( )
  bearlyr | Oct 6, 2015 |
My favorite book from Anne Rice. Re-reading the Vampire Chronicles in anticipation of the new release Prince Lestat. ( )
  Fearshop | Aug 20, 2015 |
There are parts of this book I hated. And parts that I loved. Not much in between. I had to give it at least 4 stars though, because it was so well-written. The language so poetic, seductive, even. The entire theme was sensual, really... too, too much at times and with all the wrong people. Yet I've always been attracted to the dark and the deep and profound mystery that exists between good and evil. And indeed I've always loved a story that makes you love the bad guy... like Darth Vader and Phantom of the Opera. I mean, in the latter, he kidnaps her, right? And still you're like, wow. I love him. A bit the same with Lestat de Lioncourt. (Isn't the name alone almost enough to do it?) Here's a quote from the book that epitomizes my fascination for the dark side and see if it doesn't remind you of the devil himself: "They thrill at the possibility of immortality, at the possibility that a grand and beautiful being {remember, the "son of the morning"?} could be utterly evil, that he could feel and know all things yet choose willfully to feed his dark appetite..." I am glad I read it, and yet I don't think I'll read another one anytime soon. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Origin story. I love the brat prince.
  RBeene | Mar 20, 2015 |
I love this book, but I feel like a portion of it was Louis complaining. I understand Lestat ruined his life and everything, but he should have been more focused on trying to make things for the better than hating everything. Otherwise great book just gets a little boring at times. ( )
  Nadia_A | Feb 22, 2015 |

Anne Riceprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Muller, FrankNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tarkka, HannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Vampire Chronicles (omnibus) by Anne Rice

5 Titles in Vampire Chronicles By Anne Rice - Vampire Lestat - Tale of the Body Thief - Queen of the Damned - Merrick - by Anne Rice

The Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire,The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Books 1-3) by Anne Rice

THE Vampire Chronicles - 5 Titles - Interview with the Vampire - The Vampire Lestat - The Queen of the Damned - The Tale by Anne Rice

Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat [graphic novel #6] by Anne Rice

Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat [graphic novel #7] by Faye Perozich

Has the adaptation

Has as a reference guide/companion

This book is dedicated with love to Stan Rice, Karen O'Brien, and Allen Daviau
I am the vampire Lestat. I'm immortal. More or less.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345313860, Mass Market Paperback)

After the spectacular debut of Interview with the Vampire in 1976, Anne Rice put aside her vampires to explore other literary interests--Italian castrati in Cry to Heaven and the Free People of Color in The Feast of All Saints. But Lestat, the mischievous creator of Louis in Interview, finally emerged to tell his own story in the 1985 sequel, The Vampire Lestat.

As with the first book in the series, the novel begins with a frame narrative. After over a half century underground, Lestat awakens in the 1980s to the cacophony of electronic sounds and images that characterizes the MTV generation. Particularly, he is captivated by a fledgling rock band named Satan's Night Out. Determined both to achieve international fame and end the centuries of self-imposed vampire silence, Lestat takes command of the band (now renamed "The Vampire Lestat") and pens his own autobiography. The remainder of the novel purports to be that autobiography: the vampire traces his mortal youth as the son of a marquis in pre-Revolutionary France, his initiation into vampirism at the hands of Magnus, and his quest for the ultimate origins of his undead species.

While very different from the first novel in the Vampire Chronicles, The Vampire Lestat has proved to be the foundation for a broader range of narratives than is possible from Louis's brooding, passive perspective. The character of Lestat is one of Rice's most complex and popular literary alter egos, and his Faustian strivings have a mythopoeic resonance that links the novel to a grand tradition of spiritual and supernatural fiction. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:30 -0400)

Lestat has risen from his long sleep as a modern day rock star, and makes public his story of boyhood in eighteenth-century France and initiation into vampiredom in order to solve the mystery of his existence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible