Doctored Evidence (2004)

by Donna Leon

Series: Commissario Brunetti (13)

Venetian police detective Guido Brunetti investigates when a Romanian housekeeper is falsely accused of murdering her employer.

English (16)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (26)
Brunetti works to prove the innocence of an immigrant housekeeper. Well written, though Electra seems to have more skills than may be possible! ( )
  addunn3 | Oct 4, 2021 |
The investigation of the murder of a disagreeable old woman

An old woman who insists on playing her television loudly until late at night is murdered by having her head smashed with a statue. Despite her nastiness finding someone with a motive to murder her followed some interesting twists. Gossip played a role in uncovering the culprit. ( )
  waldhaus1 | Sep 23, 2021 |
Venice, law-enforcement, murder, murder-investigation, false-information, family-dynamics, friendship*****

Set in a time shortly after the beginning use of the euro, this unusual mystery uses the Seven Deadly Sins as part of the investigative process. I always find it easy to slip into a Brunetti mystery after an absence and out of any order. The shifty characters become clear and the well-meaning rule benders (my kind of people) romp through the serious and the snarky. Unusual in it's beginning, diligence, and denouement. Of course I loved it!
I admit that I really enjoy listening to narrator David Colacci, especially his Italian (or is it Venetian) pronunciations. ( )
  jetangen4571 | May 23, 2021 |
In this installment, Commissario Brunetti investigates a case Lt. Scarpa dismissed based on circumstantial evidence. The old woman who was a nuisance to her neighbors because she listened to her television at a loud volume was assaulted and murdered. Money from her bank accounts disappeared almost instantaneously. His wife, reading their daughter's textbook, makes a remark about the seven deadly sins which guides his investigation. Suspects abound, but he identifies the person responsible for the crime, clearing the reputation of an immigrant woman. I listened to David Colacci's excellent audio narration. I enjoyed turning over Guido's wife's remark in my own head as well. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 13, 2020 |
I can't say enough about how much I enjoy these Commissario Guido Brunetti mysteries. Such depth of character, engaging storytelling, great sense of place and fabulous food descriptions. A very satisfying mystery. Looking forward to the next one. ( )
  njcur | May 5, 2019 |
Following Brunetti on the case is like watching drops of water wear away stone, though it’s clear there’s no hope for the more general petrifaction of Venice that Leon masterfully tracks.
added by rretzler | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 15, 2004)

Leon, Donnaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

What can be done?

Così fan tutte
--Mozart
for Alan Curtis
She was an old cow and he hated her.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,415,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible