King Rat, a novel by James Clavell

King Rat, a novel (original 1962; edition 1962)

by James Clavell

The time is World War II. The place is a brutal prison camp deep in Japanese-occupied territory. Here, within the seething mass of humanity, one man, an American corporal, seeks dominance over both captives and captors alike. His weapons are human courage, unblinking understanding of human weaknesses, and total willingness to exploit every opportunity to enlarge his power and corrupt or destroy anyone who stands in his path.… (more)
Member:astahura
Title:King Rat, a novel
Authors:James Clavell
Info:Boston : Little, Brown, 1962.
Collections:Your library, Long 20C
Rating:**
Tags:$E11

King Rat by James Clavell (1962)

English (34)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
Not what I expected as I read through the fourth novel of James Clavell's "Asian Saga".
Whereas in previous novel you had a range of perspectives so as to provide stories from all sides of the spectrum, this time round there was only the P.O.W's, with nothing from the Japanese or Korean soldiers except a few lines here and there, which left me kind of disappointed.

Also, where was the family of the Noble House in all of this, or was Peter Mallory a member? ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
Another solid book by James Clavell. I must admit, I enjoyed the first two I read by him much more (Shogun being an all-time favorite), but this book also sucked me in and made me feel like I was a part of the prison camp. This story is obviously depressing in nature as it follows a group of Allied POW's in a Japanese prison camp, but it was hard to root for any of the characters. I suppose that was the point, and Clavell certainly succeeds in letting the reader know what the prisoner went through both physically and mentally in the camp. Clavell himself was a POW during the war, so you have to imagine how hard this was for him to write. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
An exciting read with a moving ending. Would read again ( )
  bluecastro | Mar 29, 2018 |
Fictional account of American and British POWs in a Singapore concentration camp ( )
  JackSweeney | Jan 10, 2017 |
The story about a military POW camp during WWII.

Centers around one man who makes it successfully through the camp and then collapses when they are freed due to his having made the camp his world. He can't deal with starting from scratch again and climbing up again out in the real world.

Not as enjoyable as [b:Shōgun|402093|Shōgun|James Clavell|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320426001s/402093.jpg|1755568] or [b:Gai-Jin|42929|Gai-Jin|James Clavell|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1333578456s/42929.jpg|658129] however... ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
There was a war. Changi and Utram Road jails in Singapore do - or did - exist. Obviously the rest of this story is fiction, and no similarity to anyone living or dead exists or is intended.
For Those Who Were There
And Are Not,
For Those Who Were There And Are.
For Him. But Most,
For Her.
Changi was set like a pearl on the eastern tip of Singapore Island, iridescent under the bowl of tropical skies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,140,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible