Chrysanthemum (1991)

by Kevin Henkes

Chrysanthemum loves her name, until she starts going to school and the other children make fun of it.

Chrysanthemum loves her name until she starts school and the other children make fun of it.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 9, 2021 |
This book has the sweetest story and beautiful illustrations! It is perfect for empowering young girls at such a developmental age. ( )
  ellieclairepotts | Apr 17, 2021 |
Growing up I was shy, bullied, and had no self confidence in myself; just like the Chrysanthem who is the main character in this relistic fiction. This childhood classic is about a little mouse who experieced self-esteem issues and bulliying in school because her name was so long and hard to spell. Eventually, Chrysanthemum overcomes her challenges and learns to love her name because it is one of a kind just like her! ( )
  annacstrong | Jan 17, 2021 |
Picture / Graphic Novel - Voice

Chrysanthemum is about a little mouse who is so shy because she has the only name of its kind and it is so long and hard to spell. The bully in her class, Victoria, is so proud of her name and it makes Chrysanthemum feel bad because she does't like her name. Eventually, Chrysanthemum learns to love her name because it is unique, just like her.

I absolutely adore this book because it is so unique and different. I think that Kevin Henkes is one of the best children's authors ever and I love how he writes and illustrates his books.
  elizabethardacre | Nov 16, 2020 |
Chrysanthemum is the story of a girl who loves her name, until she starts school and her classmates tease her. It is a wonderful book about identity and self-acceptance. Henkes's colorful, detailed illustrations enhance his story and contain jokes for adults. The language is unique and engaging. Chrysanthemum was my favorite book when I was little. It would be perfect to read in kindergarten through third grade. ( )
  lucymaccash | Sep 20, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

The day she was born was the happiest day in her parents' lives.

My favorite of all the MANY Kevin Henkes books I've read recently, Chrysanthemum is the story of a little girl mouse who believes that her name is perfect... until some nasty girls at school tell her differently. Henkes resolves the story beautifully -- with a teacher who also has a long flower name -- and is sensitive throughout to the hurt that Chrysanthemum feels. Henkes' child protagonists are always supported and always found to be in the right, and the resolution always comes in a way that isn't mean-spirited.

A wonderful, comforting book for young children, with enough clever asides in the illustrations to keep parents engaged as well.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,197,652 books! | Top bar: Always visible