Pharaohs And Kings: A Biblical Quest by…

Pharaohs And Kings: A Biblical Quest (1995)

by David Rohl

This is a very interesting book on Egyptian archaeology. It contains many beautiful illustrations and charts. Rohl did extensive research on a group of mummified Apis bulls. From the hieroglyphics on their coffins, Rohl was able to connect which pharaohs reigned when the bulls were alive. From his work, he realized that much of Egyptian history has been misdated. He provides a more accurate chronology, one that intermeshes with Biblical events much better than the previous chronology. He pinpoints a correct date for Joseph's arrival into Egypt and for the Exodus. He discovered Joseph's tomb and a statue of Joseph near the tomb.

He continued on the speculation that Egyptian history is misdated that was first proposed by Immanuel Velikovsky, but added a lot more detail and added his own impressive credentials as a well-known professional archaeologist. ( )
  MauriceAWilliams | Jan 17, 2015 |
This is a very difficult book to review. It questions the ancient time line of Egypt and, by association, the Bible.

Prior to the birth of Christ, or more accurately, a few hundred years later, years were not measured from a fixed zero, but as the xth year of King Y. Archaeologists have found evidence of Egypt's royalty and, by sticking the ten years of King Fred to the twelve of King Bill, they have calculated back.

Everybody seems to accept that this is a bit hit and miss - what about interregnums for example? But, the consensus view is that the Bible stories do not fit in with the established order.

Rohl argues in what appears, to the outsider, to be a rational manner, that the Egyptian time line is in error. As a Christian, I want to believe him (although it is not essential to my faith) but, I have to take into account the scepticism of many of his learned colleagues. I had just decided that Mr Rohl must be a convincing crank, when I looked at his web site. This contains the latest information upon his theory but, and to me much more convincing, was the fact that he has included the doubting comments of his detractors. In my experience, most frauds have nothing but contempt for those who prick their bubble. I, therefore, conclude that he genuinely believes his theory. Without years of study, I could not possibly draw a worthwhile conclusion as to which side is correct and, knowing God's sense of humour, we will probably find out eventually that both views are totally erroneous!

A thought provoking read and a timely reminder that homo sapiens may not be quite as all knowing as we like to assume. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Jan 23, 2010 |

Rohl shows that a readjustment of Egyptian chronology puts the findings of archaeology in a new light and leads directly to the living world of biblical narratives. Pharaohs and Kings unveils the historical reality of such biblical personalities as Moses, David, and Solomon, and such archaeological wonders as the desecrated statue of Joseph in his coat of many colors. Basis of a series on The Learning Channel in January 1996. Photos.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:11 -0400)

An archeological interpretation of the Old Testament sheds new light on the historical reality of such biblical personages as Moses, Solomon, Joshua, and David, and compares biblical events with archeological evidence.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,896,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible