Stargirl (2000)

by Jerry Spinelli

Series: Stargirl (1)

In this story about the perils of popularity, the courage of nonconformity, and the thrill of first love, an eccentric student named Stargirl changes Mica High School forever.
    Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli (missnickynack)
    missnickynack: Its the sequel to Stargirl and it is equally as good.
    Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block (kaionvin)
    Every Soul A Star by Wendy Mass (RidgewayGirl)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: More average-boy-meets-life-changing-girl.
    Paper Towns by John Green (strandedon8jo)
    Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde (stephxsu)
    stephxsu: Similarly innocent-but-wise female character.
    Loser by Jerry Spinelli (bookel)

English (354)  Italian (2)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (359)
Two and a half stars. I was given this book as a gift when it first came out. Odd myself but with a much darker vibe than Stargirl, I read it twice in one sitting. I had discovered girls suddenly and recently, and was glued to Leo's thoughts and experiences. I yearned for a girlfriend so dedicated, and to be confident like him someday. I was in sixth or seventh grade then. Nearly two decades later, I have not have either of those things and am okay with that. I read this out of a desire to reread Spinelli. I couldn't believe the same guy who wrote the heart-wrenching Maniac Magee could write something as relatively lighthearted as this, and was fascinated, at age twelve. Now, I understand and appreciate those wide ranges. (EDIT DREAMWIDTH 9/10/19: Ha ha ha, please read my Maniac Magee review following because ha ha ha). Sadly, now I don't really like this book. Middle school me would be furious with current me.

The story is that of first love. Wonderful! I've written my share, often as fic or a character exercise for a play I'm writing. But the girl he loves is so unrealistic and her experiences so bizarre that I cannot help thinking that he lived in a richly developed fantasy world at best, due to aching loneliness. At worst...these two kids kinda read like they're in a mental ward for teens who aren't quite stable on medication. I feel bad for thinking that. She wins a state speech competition talking about whatever pops into her head? She bounds around eagerly cheering everyone and everything? After establishing she's perfectly comfortable in her unique-ness, she goes out for the one group high school girls are told will make them fit in forever? Who's letting her carry her pet rat on her shoulder to school? Why? She frequently asks off-topic questions in class and seems to have disjointed speech patterns. Realistically, she'd be ostracized from the very start. Leo has a really idealized view of her, and engages in low-level stalking, which she thinks is cute. Ew.

Thousands of people turn up to a small town game to see this new cheerleader, and I'm convinced Leo's deep in fantasy. It's so unrealistic. I went to a public high school in the suburbs that had seven hundred kids. The dynamics just aren't there in this book, and it felt so off. How does a small town get money for a high school tv show? Was it public access or something? This book--I just--what? Why? How? ( )
  iszevthere | Jun 25, 2022 |
Spinelli wrote this before Nathan Rabin coined "manic pixie dream girl," but that doesn't excuse how repulsive this whole mindfuck is. Ugh. I'm too old (and cynical) for this book. ( )
  AlainaZ | Jun 5, 2022 |
Read it in one day! I know, it is a kids book, but still! One day!

I enjoyed Stargirl, the book and character, very much.

I can see her maybe more as a jr. high student, than a high school student.

Great stuff ( )
  BarbF410 | May 22, 2022 |
I like the message about non-conformity, and the general success that Stargirl has with it. It's almost a philosophical treatise on the subject, and is a useful thought experiment, especially when you are in the middle of negotiating conformity and cruelty. That said, I'm not convinced that it holds up particularly well as an older title in the current world. The message about kindness and focusing on others is more relevant than ever. The methods Stargirl uses to basically stalk and spy on everyone around her are a more complex conversation. Didn't really love the audiobook narrator. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
very few books in young adult sections are worth reading, this being one of them. In a world of Harry Potter, we should really be looking at stars. ( )
  ennuiprayer | Jan 14, 2022 |
I honestly recommend this novel to young girls or mostly anyone that is struggling with embracing themselves and having fear being different from others. Stargirl is the new girl in Mica High School, and she is quite different from the other students. She stands out a lot in the crowd because they think she weird for a variety of reasons. Fitting in a new school environment is very difficult because we all want people to like us. But people don't see the unique person we are they just judge us constantly. After, months she decides to pretend as hard to be just like the others. Also, Leo wants her to be like the other girls because he is concerned about popularity and who talks to him. She feels peer pressure and changes her style and the way she acts. She was hoping that people will notice the change and it will have a huge impact in her popularity but that was not the case. Overall, the novel “Stargirl” is inspirational and has themes that teens are enduring. My favorite parts are when Sartgirl doesn't let people get to her by saying mean stuff just because she is different. And she is not embarrassed or even cares that she is different.
added by sonia.sr | editAmazon Customer Review, Stargirl

Jerry Spinelliprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ritter, JohnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Steinhöfel, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eileen, my Stargirl
And to Loren Eiseley, who taught that even as we are, we are becoming
And to Sonny Liston
When I was little, my uncle Pete had a necktie with a porcupine painted on it.
I don't want to be like nobody.

Star girl is an extrodinary gilr. shes not the average teenage you would see on a daily basis. At first a everyonf likes her, they even ask her to be in the cheerleading squad. She has a high spirit in supporting everyone she meets. Some people thinks shes too wierd to hang around with but they end up sitting with her during lunch and even follow along when shes singing happy-birthdsy to someone they dont even know.

Righ now im in the middle of the book and just read that she likes Leo. she actually told him he was cute and now they are hanging out everyday. everyday after school they go uot in the dessert and meditate on being empty (as in not tinkng on anything or thinking about thinking.). on other occasions they go to the mall and play this game that stargirl invented. this yong couple is just right for each other since either one of them is ashamed of each other. Leo, is very popular, but when they are both together holding hands nobody wants ot talk to Leo or Stargirl. Ever since Stargirl helped a player from the other team, they all have hated her. thats the reason why nobody watns to talk to them when they are together or just Stargirl alone.

I just finished the book and im very surprised on the ending that happend.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,571,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible