Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore…

Diet for a Small Planet (1971)

by Frances Moore Lappé

Whole wheat and soy, p. 181, 4 to 1.
  DromJohn | Aug 26, 2017 |
20 years later, still wonderful, updated 1991. ( )
  justloux | Feb 4, 2011 |
Wow, this book was excellent. I found it to be probably the most comprehensive book about food politics that I've read. It encompasses a lot of important points and really takes a thorough look at all of the intricacies of our current food system. For example, the author makes all of the important connections and leaves no stones unturned. She explains how our current food system leads to overproduction, environmental devastation, hunger and questionable food products. She makes the connection between today's farming and food production systems and global capitalism. These are all important connections to make that many authors overlook.

What I found most amazing about this book is how accurate it still is 20 years after it was written, and I read the 20th anniversary edition. People knew about all of these things since the 1970s and haven't changed anything! It's depressing if you think about it like that, and really opens my eyes to how entrenched our food policies are. I find it strange that people are reading Michael Pollan as if he's coming up with these brand new ideas, and here they are published already in 1991. (Not to say that Pollan is plagiarizing this book, just that his ideas are hardly novel.)

For the vegan, you will probably lament the lack of animal rights consciousness in this book. The author doesn't eat meat, and explains how meat consumption is inefficient, bad for the environment and helps lead to global poverty, but doesn't take much of an animal rights perspective. (Read John Robbins for that.) She ultimately states that including a small portion of meat in one's diet isn't counter to the ideas in the book. As well, many (if not most) of the recipes do contain animal ingredients. That said, the recipes are probably still a good resource for people looking to eliminate meat from their diets. ( )
1 vote lemontwist | Dec 28, 2009 |
We own this because we feel we should - it is the companion to the classic we also have. We've not yet cooked anything out of it. ( )
  ShawnMarie | Dec 28, 2008 |
Loved this book. This was one of the first vegetarian books I read, and it was truly inspiring. Lappe has changed some of her views since writing this (food combining), but it's a wonderful primer on animal rights and vegetarianism. I haven't tried any of the recipes, but they sound good. ( )
  KLSimpson | Mar 23, 2008 |
Forskolin is a chemical, which is herbal extract from the roots of a mint family plant known as Coleus Forskohlii (Plectranthus Barbatus). This extract has been used since time immemorial to treat various disorders or ailments like high blood pressure, heart ailments, and chest pains among others. If taken by mouth, Forskolin has been used to treat skin ailments like eczema and psoriasis, allergies and obesity.

Frances Moore Lappéprimary authorall editionscalculated
Iwamoto, RalphIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zimmerman, KathleenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Betty Ballantine, whose foresight, thank God, was better than mine!
It takes sixteen pounds [weight (lbs)] of grain and soy to feed a cow, to generate one pound of meat.

With the new emphasis on environmentalism in the 1990's, Lappe stresses how her philosophy remains valid, and how food remains the central issue through which to understand world politics.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:52 -0400)

Encourages making changes in dietary patterns by explaining the ways in which plant protein compares favorably with meats and providing numerous recipes for inexpensive, meatless meals.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,339,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible