From Vines to Wines: The Complete Guide to…

From Vines to Wines: The Complete Guide to Growing Grapes and Making Your… (1999)

by Jeff Cox

Storey (10)

I'm interested in possibly putting in a few vines of grapes to produce my own wine from scratch, instead of from juice. From Vines to Wines is a book to read if you own a lot of land and are interested in putting in a bunch of vines. I wound up skipping the first parts of this book just because I found them to be terribly unhelpful for a small-scale, grape growing newbie.

Wine is something that can be enjoyed by anybody, regardless of one's ability to afford wines that cost in the triple digits. I've tasted some mighty delicious wines under 10 bucks. I feel like Cox does not agree with me, as he comes across as very pretentious early on in this book. He uses a lot of terminology (that he doesn't define) that is probably not familiar to some amateur wine makers or wine drinkers, and I found that to be a bit alienating.

I did find the last part of this book to be the most helpful as I picked up some tips and tricks for my own wine making experiments. While I still don't know if it's worth it to try to vine some of my own grapes, at least I have a better feel for making the finished product. ( )
  lemontwist | Sep 13, 2010 |
For Susanna
Fresh grapes and wine are perhaps the most luscious foods we mortals encounter during our sojourn here.

From breaking ground to savoring the finished product, every aspect of growing flawless grapes and making extraordinary wine is covered in this classic guide. Fully illustrated instructions clearly show you how to choose and prepare a vineyard site; build effective trellising systems; select, plant, prune, and harvest the right grapes for your climate; press, ferment, age, and bottle wine; and judge wine for clarity, color, aroma, and taste. This revised and updated second edition features all-new information on creating your own sparkling wines, ice wines, port-style wines, and dessert wines.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,402,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible