dismiss

Strength to Love (1963)

by Martin Luther King, Jr.

9191016,210 (4.29)24
A collection of sermons by this martyred Black American leader which explains his convictions in terms of the conditions and problems of contemporary society.

Was this the beautiful program that had to close? dh 2018
  AlanBudreau | Apr 4, 2018 |
There was more to Martin Luther King, Jr. than as the leading representative of the early 1960s Civil Rights Movement. He was a Baptist preacher first and foremost. And here we have a collection of his sermons, some written while he was jailed.
This is the third of the five books King collected/wrote before his tragic assassination in 1968. They were composed during the years 1955-1963. It’s also one of his most requested works.
Theses short and meditative sermons, crafted during the heyday of the Civil Rights Movement, are predominately about racial segregation in America. They have a heavy emphasis “on permanent religious values. I was amazed that the words spoken by King sixtyish years ago are purposeful today as they were back then. Well, the first ten spoke to today’s racial unrest; the other five didn’t for me, carry the weight of modern times.
His widow, Coretta Scott King, wrote in a Forward that was penned in 1981: "I believe it is because this book best explains the central element of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s philosophy of nonviolence: His belief in a divine, loving presence that binds all life. That insight, luminously conveyed in this classic text, here presented in a new and attractive edition, hints at the personal transformation at the root of social justice: “By reaching into and beyond ourselves and tapping the transcendent moral ethic of love, we shall overcome these evils."
One of the things I thought about as I read, is that we, event in the 21st Century, and especially here is St. Louis, are still practicing segregation. Oh the Colored Only signs may be gone, but look at our neighborhoods. And not only in St. Louis, but around the country, blacks and whites are segregated via their neighborhoods. Interesting concept, in my opinion, and something on which to ponder. ( )
  juliecracchiolo | Feb 27, 2018 |
"A book of sermons on God's divine laws as mirrored in the Gospel." [cover]
  SilverWattleQuaker | Mar 12, 2013 |
This collection of Martin Luther King Jr.'s sermons, published in 1963, contains sixteen messages on various topics and an essay entitled "Pilgrimage to Nonviolence," in which Dr. King describes the study and philosophy that informs his convictions. Dr. King preached these sermons "during or after the bus protest in Montgomery, Alabama" (ix), and does indeed often refer to the struggle against segregation going on in that time. Instead of dating the collection, this fact puts them firmly in a specific historic moment while strikingly illustrating many universal, still-relevant truths he espouses.

That this took me a month to read should not be taken as a negative. From the first sermon, I realized that to be fully engaged with Dr. King's wisdom, intellect, and passion, I wanted to take it slowly. Even so, I rather wish it were a book I owned, because I rushed at the end when the library due date sneaked up on me. I didn't always agree with Dr. King's theology, but my admiration and respect for him have only grown as a result of reading some of his sermons. I was often challenged personally and a few times the sermon I was reading was directly applicable to something else I was mulling over or struggling with at the time. I would recommend those unfamiliar with Dr. King's theology and philosophy read the final essay first, as it clarified some points that I had been wondering about while reading. ( )
3 vote bell7 | Mar 7, 2011 |
Contents: A tough mind and a tender heart -- Transformed nonconformist -- On being a good neighbor -- Love in action -- Loving your enemies -- A knock at midnight -- The man who was a fool -- The death of evil upon the seashore -- Three dimensions of a complete life -- Shattered dreams -- What is man? -- How should a Christian view communism? -- Our God is able -- Antidotes for fear -- The answer to a perplexing question -- Paul's letter to American Christians -- Pilgrimage to nonviolence.
  CGSLibrary | Feb 17, 2011 |

King, Martin Luther, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, Coretta ScottForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schaup, Susannesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father, whose deep commitment to the Christian faith and unswerving devotion to its timeless principles have given me an inspiring example of the Strength to Love.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,136,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible