Thirteen (1991)

by Tonya Pines (Editor)

Other authors: D. E. Athkins (Contributor), A. Bates (Contributor), Jay Bennett (Contributor), Caroline B. Cooney (Contributor), Carol Ellis (Contributor)9 more, Diane Hoh (Contributor), Laele Littke (Contributor), Christopher Pike (Contributor), Tanya Pines (Introduction), Sinclair Smith (Contributor), J. B. Stamper (Contributor), R. L. Stine (Contributor), Ellen Emerson White (Contributor), Patricia Windsor (Contributor)

You don't really want to read this...do you? The masters of horror are waiting to take you on a terrifying ride, and there are 13 stops. Meet the new guy in town, very handsome, very sexy, and very deadly. Dine on sweet and wonderfully inviting confections -- they're good to the last breath. Learn that some spells can never be broken. Inside you'll find the works of 13 masters of horror. Let Christopher Pike, R.L. Stine, and the rest of our macabre crew show you the beauty in your worst nightmares -- and the terror in your most exquisite dreams.… (more)

A good collection of short horror stories for teens. My favourite was the Christopher Pike one. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I read this book 5 times ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 29, 2018 |
This is an interesting collection of teen horror stories; it feels a little bit dated (teens listen to cassette tapes and view home computers as novelties) but it's still very readable. Some of the stories are better than others. Some are subtle and understated, while others involve unnatural elements right from the beginning. Some build slowly, keeping the readers guessing until the very end. There is a mix of happy and sad stories, and a mix of the supernatural and the realistic.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed some of the stories by authors I'd never read before, and I was also disappointed by offerings of such big-name writers as R. L. Stine and Carolyn B. Cooney. Cooney's was my least favorite in the anthology: silly premise, empty characters, too much heavy-handed didacticism. I don't want to tell you about my favorite because I don't want to deprive anyone of the pleasure of enjoying it fresh.

The stories range from about 2 stars to about 4. I'm giving it four stars instead of three because I found the work to be compelling; when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it, and that's something.

Full disclosure: I skipped one of the stories. It seemed well-written and intriguing, but parts of it were just too sad for me. ( )
  MuuMuuMousie | May 23, 2018 |

Stine, R. L.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
White, Ellen EmersonContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Windsor, PatriciaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Daddy
the only one who truly believes
that monkey hips and dumplings rule!
The party was a bummer from the start.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,331,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible