After Silence (1992)

by Jonathan Carroll

Max Fischer, a successful Los Angeles cartoonist, moves in with Lily Aaron and her nine-year-old son - seemingly the perfect mate and the perfect child. But soon Max begins to uncover secret after impossible secret about his new family. By the author of The Land of Laughs and Sleeping in Flame.

Every now and then you read a book that makes you reevaluate things. Every now and then you get a book that forces you to look at something ugly, something horrible, and try to make sense of it. After Silence was one of those books.

Jonathan Carroll tends to write magical realism, so After Silence was a.. very different monster. Realistic fiction, it didn't hold the typical marks of a Carroll book. The humor was only there in small pieces, for the most part it was part and parcel a view of his nihilism.

The story follows Max Fischer, a cartoonist, as he enters into a relationship with Lily Aaron and her son Lincoln. After some time he begins noticing strange things occurring. There is no trace of her supposed ex-husband, facts begin not adding up. He delves into the mystery, and realizes that she has quite the questionable past. Here come the questions of morality - does this change his love for her? How does it affect Lincoln?

I didn't dislike the book, but I didn't like it as much as I typically enjoy his novels. The book made me uncomfortable, would be the easiest way to put it. I respect the book for making me uncomfortable, but I don't think I would read it again. I'd more just let it sit, and continue letting it sit for a very long while.
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,239,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible