Death at Wentwater Court

by Carola Dunn

Series: Daisy Dalrymple (1)

No stranger to sprawling country estates, wealthy Daisy Dalrymple is breaking new ground in having scandalously traded silver spoon for pen and camera to cover a story for Town and Country magazine. But her planned interviews with the inhabitants of Wentwater Court give way to interrogation after suave Lord Stephen Astwick meets a dire fate on the tranquil skating pond. Armed with evidence that his fate was anything but accidental, Daisy joins forces with Scotland Yard to examine an esteemed collection of suspects and to see that the unlikely culprit doesn't slip through their fingers just as the unfortunate Astwick slipped through the ice.… (more)
    After the Armistice Ball by Catriona McPherson (GeraniumCat)
    GeraniumCat: The first Dandy Gilver mystery is set in the 1920s. Dandy is a young wife and mother, bored by an undemanding existence after the war years, and when a friend is in trouble Dandy agrees to help. The period detail in this series is excellent, well-researched and convincingly employed, and Dandy's candid narration is great fun.… (more)
    Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen (cmbohn)

When journalist Daisy Dalrymple goes to Wentwater Court to write a magazine article about the estate, she finds herself in the middle of a murder investigation. One of the guests is found face down in the nearby pond and Chief Detective Inspector Alec Fletcher of Scotland Yard has come to investigate. He relies on Daisy’s help to get the information he needs. Strange and intense secrets come to light between family members and guests at the estate.
Death at Wentwater Court is the first installment in the Daisy Dalrymple Mysteries by Carola Dunn. I listened to an audio edition published by Blackstone Audio Inc. Agatha Christie meets Downton Abbey in this story set in Britiain 1923. We follow Daisy Dalrymple who comes from a wealthy family, but wants to work as a journalist. She discovers intrigue both past and present among the family and guests. Lord Stephen Astwick is found face down in the nearby pond. Many of the inhabitants had it in for him as he was a swindler, extortionist and a cad. Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher of Scotland Yard comes to investigate the case. Daisy is a skilled stenographer and takes very helpful forensic photographs for the police and helps with valuable insight into the family.

Main character Daisy Dalrymple, 25, is the daughter of a baron. Family and guests trust her and she clearly knows her way around the rich and titled, but I felt she took over and behaved a bit like the hostess instead of the guest at times.

Supporting character Annabel, Countess of Wentwater seems desperately unhappy. I was pleased to see Annabel trusted Daisy because she seemed to be in need of a friend. She was my favorite character in this story.

Different from Agatha Christie’s plots is that the sleuth arrives before the murder happens. The setting is an isolated opulent place. Guests and people who live at the manor all become suspects. While investigation is ongoing, police order everyone to stay put. All this is similar to Agatha Christie’s plots. Not similar is the questioning of servants as a vital source of information about the family.
Following some exciting twists and turns, the ending was a thoroughly shocking surprise I could never have anticipated.

The dialogue and language in this story were very entertaining. It felt like seeing a movie. Skating as the winter activity for the wealthy was an enjoyable and different element I haven’t read about before. I loved the unique and amusing, posh language which drew me into the story. My favorite part of the story was descriptions of Alec’s thought process and deliberations during the investigation and when Alec and Daisy discussed the findings of the investigations.
My least favorite part was descriptions of the intrigue and dysfunctional family relationships within this family.

Conclusion: Death at Wentwater Court is the Agatha Christie meets Downton Abby like story which included some exiting twists along the way and a surprise ending in more ways than one.

Fans of Carola Dunn will love this book. As will readers who enjoy the cozy mysteries genre. Similar authors to explore might be Rhys Bowen or Victoria Thompson.

Rating: 4 stars / 5
Main reasons: interesting plot, great language and dialogue, very surprising ending ( )
  rafram | Jul 14, 2020 |
I was very taken with the lively mystery Death At Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn that is the first in the series of mysteries that feature the Honorable Daisy Dalrymple. Set in the 1920s, Daisy is the daughter of a viscount but prefers to earn her own living. On assignment for Town and Country Magazine, she arrives at Wentwater Court to write about the Earl and his family.

When a death occurs and the police are called, Daisy meets the handsome Scotland Yard Inspector Alec Fraser. Since everyone at the estate is under suspicion, Daisy acts as the liaison between the working class police and the landed gentry. Sympathetic, intelligent and inquisitive, Daisy figures out who the murderer is and is also able to suggest a solution that is most pleasing to everyone concerned.

Since Daisy seems to show a knack for crime solving I expect that she and the Inspector will be spending a lot of time with each other in subsequent books. Death at Wentwater Court is the first in this series of over twenty mysteries and I expect that I will be delving into a few more of these cozy mysteries as I enjoyed this one very much. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Dec 18, 2019 |
I've been searching for a new mystery series to read, and I think I have just found it. I loved that the characters actually go detecting as opposed to just gleaning information through conversations with people. The book reminded me of Christie's Poirot series, not just in the time period it was set in but in the glamorous feel to the characters. Absolutely in love with it and can't wait to read more! ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
3.5. Very good narrator and fun English cozy that takes place in the 1920s. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
This is the first in the series and although I thought I had read all of the Daisy D books, this was not at all familiar. I really liked seeing how the series started knowing where it was going. Dunn is a very smooth writer and I never got jerked out of the period by an anachronism. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jan 21, 2019 |

Carola Dunnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, JunieDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mum, who remembers Liberty bodices and woolly combies.
Midnight at Ciro's.

Following World War I, the Honorable Daisy Dalrymple decides to earn her own living as a journalist. Assigned to write about country manor houses, she sets out for Wentwater Court and the unhappily married aristocrats who live there. There's jealousy, deceit, illicit love, and, or course, murder. A bit of romance for Daisy, too.

The first scene is in December 1922, but most of the action takes place in January, 1923.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,611,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible