Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn

Death at Wentwater Court

by Carola Dunn

Series: Daisy Dalrymple (1)

No stranger to sprawling country estates, wealthy Daisy Dalrymple is breaking new ground in having scandalously traded silver spoon for pen and camera to cover a story for Town and Country magazine. But her planned interviews with the inhabitants of Wentwater Court give way to interrogation after suave Lord Stephen Astwick meets a dire fate on the tranquil skating pond. Armed with evidence that his fate was anything but accidental, Daisy joins forces with Scotland Yard to examine an esteemed collection of suspects and to see that the unlikely culprit doesn't slip through their fingers just as the unfortunate Astwick slipped through the ice.… (more)
    After the Armistice Ball by Catriona McPherson (GeraniumCat)
    GeraniumCat: The first Dandy Gilver mystery is set in the 1920s. Dandy is a young wife and mother, bored by an undemanding existence after the war years, and when a friend is in trouble Dandy agrees to help. The period detail in this series is excellent, well-researched and convincingly employed, and Dandy's candid narration is great fun.… (more)
    Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen (cmbohn)

3.5. Very good narrator and fun English cozy that takes place in the 1920s. ( )
  tkcs | Feb 23, 2019 |
This is the first in the series and although I thought I had read all of the Daisy D books, this was not at all familiar. I really liked seeing how the series started knowing where it was going. Dunn is a very smooth writer and I never got jerked out of the period by an anachronism. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Jan 21, 2019 |
Take a step back in time when mysteries were solved by questioning not forensics. Fast enjoyable read. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Apr 16, 2018 |
Digital audiobook performed by Bernadette Dunn

Daisy Dalrymple is the daughter of a Viscount, but she has made the rather shocking decision to make her own way as a writer. She lands an assignment for a series of magazine articles on country manor houses, and finds herself at Wentwater Court in January 1923 to begin research on her first piece. Lord Wentwater’s young wife has recently been the focus of some unwanted amorous attention, and several guests express obvious jealousy and animosity. So the atmosphere is tense and somewhat uncomfortable … and then one of the house guests drowns in an ice skating accident. Or was it murder?

I really enjoyed this cozy mystery debut. Daisy is a delightful central character and amateur sleuth. She smart, resourceful, observant, and compassionate. The plot is sufficiently complicated to keep the reader guessing; I identified the culprit only a few pages ahead of Daisy. I also like the developing new relationships between Daisy and Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher. I’m a little unhappy with how the book ends –but it’s true to the time, place and social class.

Bernadette Dunn does a fine job voicing the audio book. She reads at a good pace, and I was never confused about which character was speaking. ( )
  BookConcierge | Sep 10, 2017 |
The Honorable Daisy Dalrymple is a journalist, trying to make a life for herself outside her family When she is given the assignment to write about the family at Wentwater Court, it looks like it will simply be a routine assignment. But then a death occurs, and brings all the family secrets to light.

Daisy is a really strong, fun, smart, and likable female character. She assists the police, and stands on her own two feet, contributing a lot to the investigation. The budding romance between her and the detective is a great and believable one.

I love mansion murder mysteries, and this is a good one. There are so many family secrets, and so many clues in the various rooms.

Before the actual murder, the book moves a little slowly. But once it picks up, it really gets going.

I can see this becoming one of my favorite cozy mystery series. I definitely want to get my hands on the rest of the books. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Feb 3, 2017 |

Dunn, CarolaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Mum, who remembers Liberty bodices and woolly combies.
Midnight at Ciro's.

Following World War I, the Honorable Daisy Dalrymple decides to earn her own living as a journalist. Assigned to write about country manor houses, she sets out for Wentwater Court and the unhappily married aristocrats who live there. There's jealousy, deceit, illicit love, and, or course, murder. A bit of romance for Daisy, too.

The first scene is in December 1922, but most of the action takes place in January, 1923.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,855,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible