Mariana (1994)

by Susanna Kearsley

9796021,297 (4)111
Fantasy. Fiction. Historical Fiction. HTML:

"I've loved every one of Susanna's books! She has bedrock research and a butterfly's delicate touch with charactersâ??sure recipe for historical fiction that sucks you in and won't let go!"â?? DIANA GABALDON, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Outlander

The next book from New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Susanna Kearsley, Mariana is a story of incredible romance traveling in time from modern day England to a haunted Gothic past.

When Julia Beckett moves into a beautiful old farmhouse, she soon discovers she's not alone there. She encounters haunting remnants of a beautiful young woman who lived and loved there centuries ago. Julia finds herself transported into 17th-century England, and into the world of Mariana.

Each time Julia travels back, she becomes more enthralled with the past... until she realizes Mariana's life is eclipsing her own. She must lay the past to rest or risk losing the chance for happiness in her own time.

With heartbreaking romance, escapist fantasy, and powerfully drawn characters, Kearsley takes you on a time-traveling journey you'll never forget.

Also by Susanna Kearsley:
A Desperate Fortune
Named of the Dragon
Bellewethe
… (more)

This novel is centered around a very old house near a small village in rural England - a house Julia Beckett knows from childhood is meant to be hers. When she finally is able to move into the house as an adult, she soon finds herself pulled back into the past - to a previous life she lived as Mariana in the 17th century. This novel made for a quick read and included a final twist that I absolutely loved. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Apr 14, 2024 |
That twist at the end was the absolute best. I was only planning on giving the book a four star rating until I read that part. ( )
  Fortunesdearest | Feb 1, 2024 |
I usually love Susanna Kearsley’s books and although this started well for me as the story progressed I became less interested in the outcome. Overall it was ok and I am glad I read it but nowhere as enjoyable as some of her other books ( )
  LisaBergin | Apr 12, 2023 |
Susanna Kearsley's voice flows very pleasantly and it was a very satisfying read. The English village life is described vividly and intimately and I am kind of surprised she is Canadian. Although, I don't really know if I believe in reincarnations, I liked Julia traversing back in time in this way and this mix of contemporary and historical fiction. The ending took me by surprise and I had to mull over it for a while. ( )
  dacejav | May 16, 2022 |
Julia Beckett fell in love with a house when she was five and on a family vacation. She saw it again at 22 and again at nearly 30. She's grown up, become a successful illustrator, and inherited a packet from a great aunt. She is finally able to buy the house that had been calling to her for years.

Almost as soon as she moves in, she begins seeing a man on a gray horse, hears legends of a Green woman who haunts her house, and finds herself slipping out of the present into the life of a young woman named Mariana who lived in the 1600s. This terrifies her and makes her think she's losing her mind, but her brother who has become a Vicar reassures her and lets her open her mind to the possibility of reincarnation.

As Julia spends more time as Mariana she comes to know Richard de Mornay who is the Lord of the Manor. She is also forced to live with her abusive uncle, his beaten wife, and sister-in-law. As an orphan who was forced to flee London because of the plague, she has no other options. Her relationship with Richard has to be kept secret.

Meanwhile, Julia is making friends in the present. Vivien is the local barkeeper. Her next-door neighbor is Geoff de Mornay who is very rich and a descendant of Richard's. She also meets Iain Sumner who is Geoff's best-friend from his Cambridge days and who is currently a farmer and gardener.

Julia also meets Vivien's Aunt Freda who is Geoff's housekeeper and who seems to know a lot about what Julia is going through. Julia becomes almost obsessed with Mariana's life and spends more and more time in the past. None of her research in the present gives her any information about Richard and she knows little more about Mariana than she can find on her tombstone.

I loved this story which was beautifully written and intriguing. I will admit that I was surprised at the ending which didn't go at all the way I thought it would. I'm not really a fan of time travel but Kearsley's books are exceptions. I love the way the present and past are woven together. ( )
  kmartin802 | Dec 15, 2021 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Piper (4809)
For Susan Shepard who led me down the road less travelled, and for my sister Kathryn who loved this book the best.
I first saw the house in the summer of my fifth birthday.

Fantasy. Fiction. Historical Fiction. HTML:

Season of Storms
A Desperate Fortune
Named of the Dragon
Bellewethe

Susanna Kearsley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,437,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible