Call the Midwife (2002)

by Jennifer Worth

Other authors: Terry Coates (Editor)

Series: Midwife Trilogy (1)

2,0791266,301 (4.12)1 / 276
At the age of twenty-two, Jennifer Worth leaves her comfortable home to move into a convent and become a midwife in post war London's East End slums. The colorful characters she meets while delivering babies all over London - from the plucky, warm-hearted nuns with whom she lives to the woman with twenty-four children who can't speak English, to the prostitutes and dockers of the city's seedier side - illuminate a fascinating time in history.… (more)

English (122)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (125)
Excellent read with too many gory details but I am glad I read it. Oh, my, what people go through. ( )
  WiseOwlFactory | Feb 20, 2022 |
I enjoyed the tv series so thought I wanted to read the books.
Wasn't disappointed. Many of the stories and characters from the tv series are here. You get to learn a bit more though. Recommend for anyone wanting to know more about midwifery and Britain in the 1950's and 1960's. Very informative. ( )
  Nefersw | Jan 14, 2022 |
I learned a lot about the period. Couldn't help comparing the lives of these people with those of my relatives in West Norwood and South Wales.
  wbell539 | Dec 22, 2021 |
This book, CALL THE MIDWIFE, is every bit as good as the award-winning TV series which has been running on BBC for ten years now. I've been watching it almost from the beginning, and it never fails to deliver equal measures of tears and laughter. Well, ditto Jennifer Worth's book. She is a wonderful writer, and I hope to find time to read the other two books in her trilogy, documenting the adventures and accomplishments of the nuns and midwives of Nonnatus House in the slums of post-war London. Very highly recommended.

- Tim Bazzett, author of the memoir, BOOKLOVER ( )
  TimBazzett | Dec 17, 2021 |
Enjoyable book of real life stories of a midwife in the 1950's in London. While many of her stories were often sad there were several of hope and love. I can't even imagine how these women coped in such dire circumstances and surroundings. Definite heroes of their time. ( )
  tinkerbellkk | Nov 2, 2021 |

Worth, Jenniferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coates, TerryEditorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Barber, NicolaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cole, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Philip, my dear husband.
The history of 'Mary' is also dedicated to the memory of Father Joseph Williamson and Daphne Jones.
Nonnatus House was situated in the heart of the London Docklands.

At the age of twenty-two, Jennifer Worth leaves her comfortable home to move into a convent and become a midwife in postwar London's East End slums. The colorful characters she meets while delivering babies...from the plucky warmhearted nuns with whom she lives, to the woman with twenty-four children, to the prostitutes and dockers of the city's seedier side..illuminate a fascinating time in history.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,684,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible