All Creatures Great and Small (1972)

by James Herriot

Herriot, a veterinarian, returns to his rural home after World War II and finds it difficult adjusting to peacetime. Through the support of his wife and partners, he begins to overcome his problems and rediscover the joy in veterinary medicine.
    Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing, and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon by Nick Trout (infiniteletters, bookel)
    My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell (MyriadBooks)
    The Shepherd's Life: Modern Dispatches from an Ancient Landscape by James Rebanks (AmourFou)
    Call the Midwife by Jennifer Worth (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These books have a similar nostalgic feel for a community and an era.
    All My Patients are Under the Bed by Louis J. Camuti (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: Great War era British country vet, meet Great War era American city vet. I'm sure you'll be the greatest of friends!
    An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor (cbl_tn)
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (PaperbackPirate)
    Cats in the Belfry by Doreen Tovey (krazy4katz)
    krazy4katz: Both books display a love and respect for animals, a lovely British humor and are relaxing humorous reads.
    An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor (MDGentleReader)
    MDGentleReader: An Irish Country Village is about village GPs in Ireland, All Creatures Great and Small is about rural veterinarians in Yorkshire. The Irish Country series is decades later than the James Herriot series. Both are charming and generous and filled with descriptions of beautiful countryside and eccentric human and animal characters.… (more)
    An Apple a Day: Adventures of a Country Doctor by Cornelius Slater (JimMcJim)
    Vet on the Loose by Gillian Hick (Muscogulus)
    Muscogulus: Witty memoir by a young Irish veterinarian.
    Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin (MyriadBooks)

English (112)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (117)
This is an audiobook compilation of the first 2 books and a bit of the third. I've read them before many years ago and loved them then. I loved this too - it's an excellent reading by the actor who is in the new TV series. I laughed out loud several times and it's just so feel good. I'm just really hoping that my library will get the new audiobook of the next few books. ( )
  infjsarah | Oct 6, 2022 |
A re-read, decades after my initial reading; prompted in part by the new BBC series, in part by having purchased the book for W but finding it too advanced to capture his interest. Following this second reading, I realise the narrative really is more about people-people relations than people-animal relations. The animal knowledge is there if not front and center, but the love for animals largely assumed and the details don't build into a bigger picture of animal care or a special understanding of animal behaviors, so much as they illustrate the sorts of tasks and knowledge a farm animal vet depends on. While Herriott saw a great variety of animals, for example, the recurring visits to sheep, cows, and horses provide a hint at the farming prevalent in northern Yorkshire; pigs were far less frequent a patient, and I don't recall reading about chickens, geese, ducks even once as the focus of veterinary care.

Herriott's love of the Yorkshire landscape comes across as strongly as his feeling for the people and animals he worked with, and this part I hadn't remembered, but is as much a reason to revisit as any. ( )
  elenchus | Jun 19, 2022 |
I remember my dad giving me these books for a birthday or xmas fairly early on, and I've loved them and returned to them ever since. Just re-listened to the excellent audio book version. _- love the accents, the humor, the wonderful setting, and the compassion to animals. Great storytelling. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Lovely tales of veterinarian Jim Herriot and his adventures treating animals in WW2 England. Delightful and funny stories if you enjoy historicals and are an animal lover. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |

James Herriotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cade, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
García Burgos, AmparoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Järvenpää, HeidiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ralph, NicholasNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Resnick, KerriCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Timothy, ChristopherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Eddie Straiton with gratitude and affection and Donald and Brian Sinclair, still my friends.
They didn't say anything about this in the books, I thought, as the snow blew in through the gaping doorway and settled on my naked back.
ISBN 0553122509 is All Creatures Great and Small.

My copy of this paperback is so loved and worn, that it is missing both front and back covers!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,293,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible