Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy

Tea with the Black Dragon

by R. A. MacAvoy

Series: Black Dragon (1)

1,2042710,067 (4)147
    Bridge of Birds: A Novel of Ancient China That Never Was by Barry Hughart (fugitive)
    The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillip (quondame)
    quondame: If you are willing to leave a fantastic version of our world for a world of pure fantasy, this is the place to go!

English (26)  German (1)  All languages (27)
Delightful story

I enjoyed it very much. It moves along lyrically taking the reader on a voyage of discovery. There are wonderful characters and moral dilemmas. Let this book lead you through this delightful story with its unexpected grace. ( )
  Omegawega | Mar 31, 2018 |
Just didn't get it. Bailed after 25%. Boring. ( )
  Zumbanista | Mar 30, 2018 |
It is a pleasure to have a book that stands up to rereading. A fantasy doesn't have to be a multi-volume epic of good vs. ultimate evil on scales involving entire societies to be good and satisfying. Although a fantasy, this could as easily be shelved with mysteries, as Mayland Long helps Martha MacNamara search for her missing daughter in the Bay Area. The computer systems may be out of date, but the personalities and plot are not. ( )
1 vote ritaer | Jul 23, 2017 |
probably my favourite urban fantasy book! In an age where everybody is try to outdo epics this is small, poignant and re-readable. ( )
  DavidMcKay | Jun 17, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this mashup of glimpse of computer science fiction, incipient feminism, fantasy, and action. Dated, yes. Stylistically a bit odd - stilted in places. Paragraphs ending and beginning without regard to (my) logic.
The main characters are quite complicated, and refreshingly far from politically correct. Mrs. Macnamara is the freest of spirits, a musician who flits from place to place with her eyes and ears on the mundane magics of the world. Her daughter Liz, a Stanford graduate, is beautiful, career-driven computer scientist who has invited her mother to help her solve a problem.
But when Mrs. Macnamara arrives, Liz has disappeared. An elderly gentleman by the name of Mr. Long invites her to tea, and soon the two are embroiled in a search for Liz that has deadly - and sometimes farcical - implications.
This won't take you long to read, and I highly recommend it for fans of feminist/fantasy/romance. Mind you, parts of this will annoy all of you, but that's part of the shine of this gem. ( )
1 vote KarenIrelandPhillips | Feb 20, 2017 |

R. A. MacAvoyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ellison, PaulineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monk: "What is Tao?"
Ts'ao-shan: "A dragon singing in the dry wood."
Monk: "I wonder whether there is anyone who can hear this?"
Ts'ao-shan: "There is no one in the entire world who does not hear this."
Monk: "I do not know what kind of composition the dragon's song is."
Ts'ao-shan: "I also do not know; but all who hear it lose themselves."

The Transmission of the Lamp
To Ron
Martha Macnamara stood at the Pacific, her toes digging into the froth.
Mayland Long, in his quiet gray suit, felt like a quote taken out of context.
She was sure that the tea was Oolong. Both the tea and the statue were named Oolong? The tea, the statue and the dragon?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553232053, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

The tale of Martha MacNamara--brought west to San Francisco by her daughter's disappearance--and of the man who changed her life: a mysterious Asian gentleman named Mayland Long who risked his ancient magic powers for her in a battle against modern-day computer wizardry.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,421,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible