The Burning Times by Jeanne Kalogridis

The Burning Times

by Jeanne Kalogridis

While I didn't think this was a good as the previous books I have read by this author I still found it fairly gripping.
I really wanted to know if Michel would help the Abbess and if she would escape being burnt at the stake. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
I'm all for books that present an alternative view of history, religion, etc. But I swear, if I read the words "my beloved" in a sentence together again, I might scream. I feel like this book and others that present the view of religion that is Goddess worship, women seem to be less powerful and more whiny. I thought this was about empowering women. ( )
  Shannon29 | Jun 25, 2015 |
I managed to finish it, but was so disappointed. Not only not up to the standards of Kalogridis' prior books I'd read, but just plain boring and uninteresting. Sadly for this book, I'd read Judith Merkle Riley's A VISION OF LIGHT, 5 months prior and the two shared a similar theme. This Novel could not compare the characterizations and compelling plotline of Merkle Riley's novel. Sorry! ( )
  fbswss | Aug 26, 2014 |
This is historical-fantasy-fiction, maybe sort of. I liked it - there was a pretty interesting confession-as-narrative format that had some point of view changes but held together well. The Michel is Luc! revelation was totally predictable (I don't think it was supposed to be a surprise) and kind of rushed, though - suddenly he's Luc! No more character development for you! Overall a good read, though. ( )
  amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |
Jeanne Kalogridis writes historical fiction that I love. She mixes a little fact with a little fiction and adds a tiny bit of the paranormal. The magical element never feels odd in her stories either and most times when I come across it, I go right along with it. She blends everything so well.

I’ve read several of her books including: The Scarlett Contessa, The Devil's Queen: A Novel of Catherine de Medici and Covenant with the Vampire. My library does not have a huge back list for her, but I plan to seek out a few of others if I can.

In The Burning Times, we meet Sybille, a poor midwife with pagan ways who is forced into hiding and assumes the name and appearance of Sister Marie Francoise so she can take refuge among the Franciscan sisterhood. She does this to escape the Inquisitors who wish to burn all heretics and those they deem witches. She is eventually caught by the Inquisitors, and during the course of her imprisonment and interview with a young monk, her story unfolds and the powers she holds, she sees the future and can heal the sick, become clear. It’s obvious to the other Inquisitors that she’s clearly a witch and should be burned but the young Monk Michael wants to hear her story not thoroughly convinced that she is what they all say.

The story is told through this interview and even if you think you know how it will end, the way in which the story is told keeps you interested. Sybille won’t be rushed, knowing this will be her last chance to tell her story and that of her people. There are others in the world with her powers and abilities and she wants the church to know that killing her will not end what they consider to be a scourge of heresy.

There’s an interesting mythology to this book that is more than just witchcraft. The pagan ideals of worship and belief in something higher added an interesting new level that ran against the stalwart beliefs of the church. The historical elements --- the Black Plague, the Hundred Years’ War, and the war between England and France --- provided a nice background for the story to play out.

I love going back to read earlier works of an author I like. While the writing quality of this particular book doesn’t compare to the book released this year, The Scarlett Contessa which I thought had a much better flow and felt much more cohesive, I like to go back and see how a writer evolved. Don’t get me wrong, this is still a good book, but I can see how Kalogridis’s writing has changed over the years and I know that she will be an author whose work I continue to enjoy in the coming years. ( )
  justabookreader | Nov 15, 2010 |
Für meinen Geliebten
Hart und ohrenbetäubend prasselt der Regen herab.
Jeanne Kalogridis also known as J. M. Dillard

The year is 1357. The Inquisition rages throughout medieval France, searching ruthlessly for heretics. In an epic tale of passion, mystery, and unspeakable danger, one woman faces the flames...and triumphs.

Mother Marie Françoise, born Sybille, is a midwife with a precocious gift for magic -- a gift that makes her a prime target for persecution at the hands of the Church. She flees her village and takes refuge in a Franciscan sisterhood. Before long, Sybille's unusual powers bring her under the scrutiny of the Inquisition. Michel, a pious and compassionate monk sent to hear her confession, finds himself drawn more intimately into Sybille's life and destiny than either of them could have imagined.

Like a magician herself, Jeanne Kalogridis weaves a tale of star-crossed love, of faith and heresy, of mysticism and witchcraft, against a fascinating historical backdrop -- the Black Death, the Hundred Years' War, and the catastrophic defeat of France at the hands of the English. The result is a page-turning novel about one of the most intriguing periods in history.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:58 -0400)

Mother Marie Franoise, born Sybille, is forced to take refuge among the Franciscan sisterhood as the Inquisition threatens, and "her extraordinary life story unfolds when a monk is charged with determing whether the mysterious abbess is a saint or a witch."--Jacket.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,115,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible