Star Wars: Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter

by Michael Reaves

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER * For the infamous, power-hungry Sith, beholden to the dark side, the time has come to rise again. "Full of lightsaber battles, the Jedi philosophy, and lots of new life-forms."--Chicago Sun-Times After years of waiting in the shadows, Darth Sidious is taking the first step in his master plan to bring the Republic to its knees. Key to his scheme are the Neimoidians of the Trade Federation. Then one of his Neimoidian contacts disappears, and Sidious does not need his Force-honed instincts to suspect betrayal. He orders his apprentice, Darth Maul, to hunt the traitor down. But he is too late. The secret has already passed into the hands of information broker Lorn Pavan, which places him right at the top of Darth Maul's hit list. Then, in the labyrinthine alleyways and sewers of Coruscant, capital city of the Republic, Lorn crosses paths with Darsha Assant, a Jedi Padawan on a mission to earn her Knighthood. Now the future of the Republic depends on Darsha and Lorn. But how can an untried Jedi and an ordinary man, stranger to the powerful ways of the Force, hope to triumph over one of the deadliest killers in the galaxy?… (more)
    Cloak of Deception by James Luceno (Jthierer)
    Jthierer: These two are the primary novel set-up for the first trilogy, and threads from the first are carried on in the second.

I should say that I usually do not read a lot of Star Wars novels that take place close to the events in the movies. It is because I feel I know how things will end down the road, so how the characters got there does not really interest me. There are some exceptions, and if they are stories of very different characters (not the usual cast), I may pick them up out of curiosity (for example, the MedStar duology, which I have on my bookshelf here). Anyhow, I picked this one up at my local public library, again, out of curiosity. We'll see how it turns out once I get to it.

Overall, not the greatest Star Wars novel, but it was ok. If nothing else, it was a quick read. It does set up into the events of Star Wars:Episode One. So, those who have seen the movie know Darth Maul's eventual fate, but the novel adds some depth to the character that is not found in the film, so in that regard, it makes for good reading. The pace is pretty good. The ending was ok; then again, given how events eventually turn out, it sort of has to end the way it does, but it does add a bit of a small twist to keep it interesting. Essentially, it is a book to borrow and read. I borrowed it from my local public library. Fans will definitely appreciate it. Casual readers may find it just ok. ( )
  bloodravenlib | Aug 17, 2020 |
I just don't care about Darth Maul and all his ridiculous "I'm so powerful no one can stand before me I always finish my mission" bullshit. The fact that Darsha and Maul had basically the exact same thoughts about mission failure was so annoying. Especially since neither of them would shut up about it. Darsha's constant "I'm gonna get sent to the agricorps if I fail this one mission" whining was enough to drive me batty. Obi-Wan's presence in this book at all was totally inexplicable and pointless. There just were no good decisions made here at all. ( )
  irasobrietate | Sep 26, 2019 |
An immediate prequel to Episode One. Follows Darth Maul as he hunts down a Neimoydian who is trying to sell info about the upcoming Trade Embargo for Naboo. Maybe a fan of Darth Maul would like this a lot, but I found it very blase. I am going back and forth as whether to buy it or not, for it is the immediate events leading up to Episode One. We'll see if I can find a cheap bookclub edition somewhere. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This book is excellent. It serves as a prequel to Episode I and gives some backstory on Darth Maul and what he was up to immediately prior to The Phantom Menace. I definitely recommend it. It was a very exciting and fast-paced read. ( )
  Kiaru | Feb 3, 2015 |
Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter was the first book that I read in the Star Wars extended universe, and it's probably due to this book that my blog is currently rather full of star wars book reviews. It's not my favourite book in the Star Wars franchise, but it is one that I will always enjoy reading - and have indeed read several times.

It's a really easy to read book - there is nothing particularly complex about it, the only thing that might require Expanded Universe knowledge is that "the Black Sun" is the name of a criminal organisation - but even that isn't really necessary. If you've only seen the Star Wars films, you can enjoy this book.

Essentially it tells us more about the mystery that is Darth Maul. But in a way that kind of doesn't really tell us much at all. But while I loved Darth Maul in this book, the thing that I really enjoyed about this book was the two characters introduced in it - Darsha Assant and Lorn Pavan. The first a Jedi, the second a kind of lowlife. Reaves writes both of them really well - and the changing relationship between them even better.

I also enjoyed learning more about the Jedi. This was the first book in which I read the Jedi Code, and we learn more about how jedi are taught - as well as what they would sacrifice to protect others. It's quite an uplifting book, if somewhat tragic, and a really nice entry into the extended universe.

A lot of Star Wars books are enjoyed mainly by fans of the Extended Universe. This one is one that I believe can be enjoyed by anyone, and easily read. As I said at the beginning of the review - it's not the best book in the world. But it's one that opens the door to many others (There are over a hundred books in the Star Wars franchise). It's a great book - and an excellent first Star Wars books. ( )
  AdamBourke | Apr 14, 2011 |
For my daughter Mallory "The Force is strong with this one."
Space is the perfect place to hide.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 197,504,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible