Pawn in Frankincense by Dorothy Dunnett

Pawn in Frankincense (1969)

by Dorothy Dunnett

Series: Lymond Chronicles (4)

The pawn is a child. A small boy with the fair hair and blue eyes of Francis Crawford is hidden somewhere in slavery. Early in the year 1552 the royal gallery Dauphinesails from Marseilles, bound for Algiers and Constantinople. Her commander is Francis Crawford of Lymond. While Lymond combs the southern shores of the Mediterranean for the child, his cruellest enemy, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of St John, public saint and private devil waits - gently reeling in the elaborately planned chain of humiliation and violence which is drawing Francis Crawford to Constantinople, and the end of the game.Pawn in Frankincenseis part of The Lymond Chronicles. 'It all culminates in a breathtaking set piece... Marvellous sense of period.' The Times… (more)

Francis Crawford of Lymond has discovered that he has a son. That son has been taken somewhere in the Ottoman Empire, and Lymond needs to find him while trying to outwit his nemesis from the previous book, Gabriel.

To be honest, I found this book a real slog. Perhaps it really didn’t work as a bus book, or I had too much else going on in my life while trying to read. Perhaps the less-familiar-to-me setting had something to do with it. Perhaps Gabriel is just the Worst. Human. Ever. and I didn’t enjoy reading about him (especially when there were scenes set in harems or seraglios — I was skipping pages to make sure I didn’t inadvertently read anything horrifying). That said, the last third really picked up, and any scenes with Philippa were great, because she is a highly resourceful, determined character. And Archie Abernethy is always a welcome visitor on these pages. But overall, this is certainly my least favourite book in the series. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Oct 10, 2019 |
After my reservations about The Disorderly Knights, I felt some anxiety as I embarked on Pawn in Frankincense, the fourth book in the Lymond Chronicles. However, there is very little to find fault with here: it is a magnificent novel, richer and more powerful than any of its predecessors in the series. I found it interesting to compare it to Queens’ Play, which I also enjoyed, for very different reasons. While Queens’ Play takes place in a small area of France, Pawn in Frankincense unfurls across the breadth of Europe and North Africa, embracing Switzerland, France, Algiers, Djerba and then Constantinople, the greatest and most dazzling city of all. At the time I thought that Queens’ Play had raised the stakes, placing the focus on the struggle between nations rather than individuals; here, though, faith pits itself against faith and empire against empire. It’s truly epic, in every sense. And, while Queens’ Play had plenty of comedic moments, sparkling with youthful mischief, Pawn in Frankincense subjects its characters and readers to a greater dose of bitterness and tragedy. One thread of the story closes; another begins...

For the full review, please see my blog:
https://theidlewoman.net/2012/07/17/pawn-in-frankincense-dorothy-dunnett/ ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Aug 6, 2019 |
May I consider this fourth of the six books that make up Dorothy Dunnett’s Lymond Chronicles to be the beginning of the second of two acts?

I ask because the last book finished on a cliffhanger, and because I see parallels between this book and the very first book in the sequence.

They are both stories of quests, but his time the field of play is much wider and the stakes are much, much higher.

The narrative moves across Europe and North Africa; beginning with a remarkable scene in Switzerland where much is not as it seems, and then on to France, Algiers, Djerba, and finally the grand and great city Constantinople, where scenes played out that left me emotionally drained,utterly lost for words and desperate to know what would happen next.

The journey through this series of book is for the faint-hearted; but for those prepared to commit time, heart and intellect, they are richly, richly rewarding.

The quest in the first book was to find justice and the right place in the world; while the quest in this book is to find an infant, hidden away far from the place he should know as home, and in the power of a ruthless, devious and very clever enemy.

I’m trying not to say too much for anyone further back in the series or contemplating reading in the future, but I really can’t write about this book without referring to particular names and situations.

The ostensible reason for Lymond’s journey is to deliver a gift from the King of France to the Sultan in Constntinople; but the deeper reason is to rescue the child – complicated by the fact that there are two children, one his and one his enemy’s, and that he has no way to tell them apart – and to destroy that enemy.

The travelling party includes Philippa Somerville, who is set on looking after the child; Archie Abernathy; Jerrott Blyth, from the company formed at St, Mary’s; the maker of the spinet and the young woman who is his apprentice. Along the way the party will fracture, shining a different light on to familiar characters and illuminating new ones.

I knew that many readers love Philippa Somerville, and in this book I thought that she came into her own as a principled and strong-willed young woman, and I found that I loved her too. Jerrott Blyth became a complex character with a life and a story of his own, moving forward from the shadows in the last book. I came to love Archie Abernathy, and I wished I could spend more time with him and learn more of his back-story. I can’t help feeling there are volumes and volumes of history and biography that I would so loved to read that Dorothy Dunnett distilled to create her books.

There are some exceptional women in this series of books, and the young woman apprentice is as exceptional as any of them. I can’t say that I liked her, but I was intrigued by her and it was clear that she was significant for the thread that has been running throughout this series of books: the mystery surrounding the Crawford family and the possibility that a greater power than the enemy being sought is weaving an elaborate plot around Lymond.

I found a great deal to think about, I found a wealth of wonderful plot twists, some of which I saw coming but many of which I did not. I was pleased with some of the things I spotted, but I suspect that I am being cleverly managed by the author. When I read the first book in this series I wrote that it was lovely to be able to listen to someone so much cleverer than me, who was so articulate, who had so much to say about a subject that she loved, and that still holds true.

The evocation of places, of events, of cultures, continues to be vivid, deep and complex,

The thing that made this book distinctive for me was the use of perspective – most of the story is told from the perspective of Philippa Somerville or Jerrott Blyth. That illuminated their characters, and it also held Lymond at a distance so that much of his character remains in shadow.

I could see that he had matured since the earlier books, that he took responsibility for his companions in a way that he hadn’t often before, and he had no ready answer when he was asked if the object of his quest justified the price that he and others were paying. The price that he paid was highest of all, and the choice that he was forced to make in the grand set- piece of this book – a live game of chess – was utterly devastating.

The story went on a little too long for me after that, but I understood that there had to be a return journey, that pieces had to be put on place for the next book.

The consequences of what Lymond went through in this book – and of what he and others learned – have still to play out.

One side of the story seems to have played out in this book, but another side – the deeper story, I think, is coming to the fore.

As is another exceptional woman.

I’m not sure that I’m ready to be so close to the end of all of this, but I have to press on with the next book …. ( )
  BeyondEdenRock | Apr 5, 2019 |
This, I think, is the most breathless of all the books in this series. After the night at St Giles, Gabriel has disappeared, and Lymond in the guise of a French Ambassador starts to scour the Mediterranean for his child. Gabriel has left surprises and clues and traps all around the shore towns and cities, while he strives to become the Grand Master on Malta. We are introduced to Marthe, a woman who looks to be the twin of Lymond, and as the team breaks up and chases different clues, it becomes evident that there are two children being chased.
Philippa Somerville enters the seraglio at Topkapi to care for one of the boys; ostensibly beyond the reach of Gabriel as a Christian lord, but his treachery against the Knights of St John lands him a position of power in Suleiman's court.
The finale, a chess game is nail biting and brutally brilliant. ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Not my favorite of all of the Lymond Chronicles.
  winterslights | Jun 12, 2016 |

Dorothy Dunnettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Monteath, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Napier, AndrewNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The bathers of Baden in summer were few and fat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,771,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible