Me on the Map (Dragonfly Books) (1996)

by Joan Sweeney

A child describes how her room, her house, her town, her state, and her country become part of a map of her world.

This book is a fun introduction to maps and geography. Ayoung girl shows readers herself on a map of her room, her room on the map of her house, her house on the map of her street--all the way to her country on a map of the world. This book would be useful for a social studies class when introducing maps. ( )
  Rmg052 | Apr 26, 2021 |
This book shows a girl that draws different maps to show her location. She starts smaller with her bedroom and goes bigger to a map of the earth. This is a great resource for an early childhood classroom to introduce the use of maps and geography. ( )
  vberthiaume | Dec 6, 2020 |
This is a great place to begin teaching what a map is and where you are in the world. It could also be a super place to show how to make your own map. The simple, direct text is reinforced by the cute, to-the-point illustrations. I would have loved to use a small group set of this book when I was teaching. ( )
  SWONclear | Jun 28, 2019 |
Before I begin, let me say that my students love maps. We started the year putting colored push-pins on a world map, to mark the different countries we are from. Later we did a Social Studies activity where we started off with a map of the continents. We then went to a map of the United States, then Louisiana, then Jefferson, and then finally a Google map of our school! I shared this book last Thursday, before beginning a lesson. The culminating activity was to complete a map (drawn and labeled by each student). We now have some awesome maps on our bulletin board. One child seemed to be copying the book, because he chose to draw his room. Another student pointed this out to me. I showed him how the end result was indeed very different from the little girl in the book. The student actually had three other kids sharing his room, and it was sort of empty with just a lot of kids in a bed and a baby playing on the floor. Other students made maps of their countries. One girl drew her grandma's backyard, with her grandma cooking pupusas outside on the comal. In my opinion, this book left much to be desired. However, my students loved it! ( )
  denisebarry | Nov 11, 2018 |
I love this book Me on the Map. It is good book to teach young readers about maps. Educators can incorporate some of the activities the young girl used to represent herself on the map. ( )
  slumar | Sep 24, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,215,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible