The Wednesday Surprise by Eve Bunting

The Wednesday Surprise

by Eve Bunting

Other authors: Donald Carrick (Illustrator)

The Wednesday Surprise was a timeless story that I very much enjoyed. Eve Bunting is able to build suspense, and the paintings are very intricate, which allow for foreshadowing to take place. From the beginning of the story, Bunting builds suspense and keeps the reader’s guessing. She says, “I like surprises. But the one Grandma and I are planning for Dad’s birthday is the best surprise of all.” Most readers would guess that they’re getting Dad an awesome material gift, but that isn’t the case. Bunting also makes the text seem ordinary, in order to not give away the surprise. For example, she says, “We read the story together, out loud…” This is very typical of a Grandmother and her granddaughter, but we’re not seeing everything yet.

I also loved the paintings in the story. They enhance the text and enable foreshadowing. In one of the pictures, the young girl is breathing into the window, and she draws a picture of a cake. In the text, she says, “I watch for her from the window and I blew on the glass to make breath pictures.” The picture of the cake makes readers think about having a party for Dad, and get them thinking about what the surprise might be.

The central message of the story is that it is never too late to learn to read. No one should be embarrassed that they can’t read because of their age. The surprise in the story was that it was actually Grandma who learned to read – not the granddaughter. The mom asks, “When did you learn to read?” Grandma says, “Anna taught me.” This shows that anyone can teach anyone to read, no matter how old you might be. Reading is a gift that should be given to everyone; it doesn’t discriminate. ( )
  ribber1 | Sep 28, 2015 |
The ending was indeed a surprise. It was also delightful. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
It sure surprised me! These are the kind of people who we should admire as heroes, imo. Those among us who do the smart problem-solving and the humble good deeds are the best role models for all of us. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
A story of a little girl teaching her grandmother to read.
  Karen_Curtis_Wood | Mar 15, 2015 |
A young girls grandmother comes to visit weekly and they have a special surprise for her daddy. ( )
  tashara | Mar 15, 2015 |

Eve Buntingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carrick, DonaldIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0899197213, Hardcover)

Anna and Grandma are planning a surprise for Dad's birthday. Dad thinks he has received all his presents, but Grandma stands up and gives him the best one of all: she reads aloud the stories that Anna has taught her.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:39 -0400)

On Wednesday nights when Grandma stays with Anna everyone thinks she is teaching Anna to read.

3 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,920,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible