The Merchant's House (1998)

by Kate Ellis

Series: Wesley Peterson (1)

DS Wesley Peterson, newly arrived in the West Country town of Tradmouth, has his hands full when a child goes missing and a young woman is brutally murdered on a lonely cliff path. Then his old friend, archaeologist Neil Watson, unearths the skeletons of a strangled woman and a new born baby in the cellar of an ancient merchant's house nearby. As the investigation continues, Wesley begins to suspect that these deaths, centuries apart, may be linked by age-old motives of jealousy, a sexual obsession and desperate longing. And the pressure is on if he is going to prevent a further tragedy... Kate Ellis's wonderfully addictive series of West Country set crime novels feature Wesley Peterson, one of Devon's first black detectives.… (more)

Book 1 in the Wesley Peterson series: Having read Book 2 first, this title was a bit lack-lustre in comparison. The characterizations were not as vivid but the parallel mysteries between the archeological skeletons and the current day death and missing child were masterful.

Part of the story involved Wesley and Pam's interactions with a physician at a fertility clinic. Somehow, this was too much side-play and it was strange that in the end, the doctor wasn't charged with illegally being paid to abet infertile women in finding surrogates. Despite this distraction, I was kept guessing who committed the murder until close to the end.

This is a slightly suspenseful mystery which had three-dimensional characters that were engaging. Recommended for fans of the cozy mystery genre. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Feb 22, 2020 |
Detective Sergeant Wesley Peterson investigates the death of a young woman linked to a missing child case on his first day after being transferred from London to Tradmouth in South Devon. Meanwhile, his friend Neil Watson finds a dead woman in an archaeological excavation. The woman died several centuries ago and it seems that she was murdered. Oddly enough seems it to be strange similarities with the two cases...

I read and loved The Death Season, book 19 in this series at the beginning of this year. And, so I decided to buy the first book in the series to get to know Wesley Peterson and the rest of the characters in the book from the beginning.

The crime in this book was not as complicated as it was in The Death Season, it was easy to figure out how it all had happened. I prefer to read a story with a lot of twist in it. Reading a book and guessing correctly most of what will happen is just not that fun.

What made this story a bit better is that Wesley Peterson also has a degree in archaeology and while he and his colleagues are trying to solve the death of a young woman is he and his friend Neil who is working as an archaeology trying to find out who killed a young woman several centuries ago. I like the fact that Kate Ellis both writes about modern crime and at the same time her books with Wesley Peterson also have some archaeology in it.

This book may not have been as good as The Death Season, but I will continue to read the series! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
DS Wesley Peterson, newly arrived in the West Country town of Tradmouth, has his hands full when a child goes missing and a young woman is brutally murdered on a lonely cliff path. Then his old friend, archaeologist Neil Watson, unearths the skeletons of a strangled woman and a new born baby in the cellar of an ancient merchant's house nearby. These deaths are linked by age-old motives of jealousy, a sexual obsession and desperate longing. I really enjoyed Ellis' Joe Plantagenet series but this one does not disappoint either. I'm looking forward to reading book 2 in the series and I would highly recommend this book to those who love mystery thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Feb 15, 2019 |
The description is a little misleading but those things do happen in the story... they just aren't tied together quite like it reads. That being said...I read a tremendous amount of books in a year so it's not surprising that I don't remember all the details of some. I don't know how I could have forgotten so much of this one. The story is absolutely captivating. It draws the reader in and allows the mind to soar...as one of my reading friends said. You have to like DS Wesley Peterson and his commanding officer DI Heffernan. They are so believable and don't do stupid things. They are extremely competent police officers. We are reading this series as a group read so I am eagerly awaiting book #2. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 12, 2019 |
  Carol420 | Feb 12, 2019 |

Ellis, Kateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pieretti, AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

August 31 The child flung his tricycle aside and toddled, laughing, towards the basking cat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,543,547 books! | Top bar: Always visible