The Merchant's House by Kate Ellis

The Merchant's House (1998)

by Kate Ellis

Series: Wesley Peterson (1)

1931290,199 (3.6)65

DS Wesley Peterson, newly arrived in the West Country town of Tradmouth, has his hands full when a child goes missing and a young woman is brutally murdered on a lonely cliff path. Then his old friend, archaeologist Neil Watson, unearths the skeletons of a strangled woman and a new born baby in the cellar of an ancient merchant's house nearby. These deaths are linked by age-old motives of jealousy, a sexual obsession and desperate longing. I really enjoyed Ellis' Joe Plantagenet series but this one does not disappoint either. I'm looking forward to reading book 2 in the series and I would highly recommend this book to those who love mystery thrillers. ( )
  EadieB | Feb 15, 2019 |
The description is a little misleading but those things do happen in the story... they just aren't tied together quite like it reads. That being said...I read a tremendous amount of books in a year so it's not surprising that I don't remember all the details of some. I don't know how I could have forgotten so much of this one. The story is absolutely captivating. It draws the reader in and allows the mind to soar...as one of my reading friends said. You have to like DS Wesley Peterson and his commanding officer DI Heffernan. They are so believable and don't do stupid things. They are extremely competent police officers. We are reading this series as a group read so I am eagerly awaiting book #2. ( )
  Carol420 | Feb 12, 2019 |
  Carol420 | Feb 12, 2019 |
A toddler is abducted and a few days later a woman's body is found on a clifftop. Newly transferred Detective Sergeant Wesley Peterson is investigating the murder, while his archaeologist friend Neil Watson has found evidence of a Jacobean tragedy during an excavation.

The modern day mystery was very well done, setting up a good group of characters I'd like to see more of, but I found the extracts from the Jacobean journal which served as chapter epigraphs unsatisfactory, not so much from the story-telling point of view but simply unconvincing as Jacobean English. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Nov 17, 2018 |
This is the first in a series set in Devon and featuring DS Wesley Peterson and his colleagues. Wesley's team investigates the murder of a young woman, while another team is trying to locate a missing toddler. Wesley studied archaeology at university and meets up with a friend, Neil, who is working on the site of a 17th century merchant's house. The chapter headings feature sections from the journal of said merchant, and these were interesting, although the sections where Wesley and Neil discuss the dig were not so interesting and didn't add anything to the story from my perspective; I would have been happier with just the modern day mystery.

I think I'll continue with these - I hope Wesley's wife cheers up, though! ( )
  pgchuis | Feb 22, 2018 |

Ellis, Kateprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pieretti, AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
August 31 The child flung his tricycle aside and toddled, laughing, towards the basking cat.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 074995275X, Paperback)

Kate Ellis's wonderfully addictive series of West Country-set crime novels feature Wesley Peterson, one of Devon's first black detectives

A black policeman from the Met might expect to meet some resistance, when he's transferred to a West Country seaside town—but, for DS Wesley Peterson, it's like coming home. One of the first people he bumps into is an old friend—Neil is heading an archaeological dig at a Tudor merchant's house, and Wesley has to tear himself away to become involved in a major search for a missing child. The tension is mounting when a body is found—but to Wesley's relief it is turned up at Neil’s dig and is more than 400 years old. It seems to be a tragic murder nonetheless, for the bones are those of a strangled young woman and a newborn baby. When another, more recent body is found, the circumstances surrounding the child's disappearance become more complex, and Wesley is increasingly convinced that the age-old motives of jealousy, sexual obsession, and desperate longing for a child are behind the crimes—ancient and modern—that he must solve soon if further tragedy is to be averted.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:11 -0400)

The uncovery of two skeletons in the ruins of a seventeenth century manor house leads Detective Sergeant Wesley Peterson to solve a four hundred-year-old mystery that curiously parallels the abducted child case he is currently engaged in.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,459,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible