Free to Be... You and Me by Marlo Thomas

Free to Be... You and Me

by Marlo Thomas

Other authors: Samuel N. Antupit (Art Director), Judy Blume (Contributor), Lucille Clifton (Contributor), Herb Gardner (Contributor), Dan Greenburg (Contributor)22 more, Carol Hall (Contributor), Sheldon Harnick (Contributor), Bruce Hart (Contributor), Carole Hart (Editor), Joyce Johnson (Contributor), Francine Klagsbrun (Editor), Elaine Laron (Contributor), Stephen Lawrence (Contributor), Betty Miles (Contributor), Shelley Miller (Contributor), Letty Cottin Pogrebin (Editor), Carl Reiner (Contributor), Phil Ressner (Contributor), Mary Rodgers (Editor), Anne Roiphe (Contributor), Linda Sitea (Contributor), Shel Siverstein (Contributor), Gloria Steinem (Contributor), Peter Stone (Contributor), Judith Viorst (Contributor), Kurt Vonnegut Jr. (Contributor), Charlotte Zolotow (Contributor)

Series: Free to Be... (1)

An older, cooler cousin gave me this book for Christmas when I was about 10 years old. It probably saved my life. I still think about it with fondness and gratitude. ( )
  woolgathering | Apr 4, 2017 |
Respect from the '70s. I recommend "Free to be" to anyone raising a child K-6. ( )
  DromJohn | Dec 17, 2014 |
This album is one that I had as a kid and was given to my son as well. It is a collection of songs, poems, stories and skits narrated or sang by famous personalities like Mel Brooks, Diana Ross, Alan Alda and others. Its theme emphasizes gender equality and the importance of not judging by appearance, being who you are no matter what that might be. Although a product of the 70's and women's rights, the message is still relevant and I believe this album still holds weight today. The songs are fantastic. Some of the skits are boring. A lot of the poetry is by Shel Silverstein. Overall a really good CD to have in a young kid's collection.
1 vote jessiejluna | Feb 15, 2014 |
Not only did I love this book as a child. I had the record(yes record!) that went with it that I listen to and sing and dance. Definitely a book of the 70's. ( )
1 vote FMRox | Jan 5, 2010 |
Reviewed by Jaglvr for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

I was a young child when FREE TO BE...YOU AND ME was first released. My elementary school even used songs from FREE TO BE...YOU AND ME for a spring concert. As I reviewed this book now, as an adult, I was still amazed that I could hum the tunes to the songs written as poems in the book.

FREE TO BE...YOU AND ME is one of those rare gems that have managed to stand the test of time. Updated with vibrant new illustrations, FREE TO BE...YOU AND ME takes controversial messages (imagine how controversial they would have been in the early 1970s!) and brushes off the impossibilities of what can be.

FREE TO BE...YOU AND ME emphasizes to children the endless possibilities that are available to them. The book encourages children of all ages to do what they want, and not be limited by what society expect of them.

Take the story of "Atalanta." The princess's father automatically expects her to marry the man he chooses for her. Atalanta wants nothing to do with that. She wants to be the creator of her own destiny. She compromises with her father that if she can run the race with the possible suitors, if she loses the race, she will do as he wishes. But ultimately, Atalanta holds her own fate in her hands by risking running the race against the suitors.

Or, there's "William's Doll." What father doesn't cringe at the thought of his son wanting to play with a doll? But this story shows that by allowing William to have the doll that he desires, he has gained the knowledge to be an awesome big brother.

These are just two of the wonderful parts of FREE TO BE...YOU AND ME. With poems, comics, songs, and amazing illustrations, parents will fall in love with the book again, and children will immediately make FREE TO BE...YOU AND ME one of those treasures to be read time and again.

And if you are a parent that doesn't remember this from your childhood, pick up a copy and read "Boy Meets Girl." There's no way you can forget the amusing tale of the babies that meet minutes after being born in the nursery! ( )
1 vote GeniusJen | Oct 11, 2009 |
If you were to distill the messages that every kid needs to hear to grow up to be a confident, loving individual who does what's right even when society sneers, if you were to turn them into great songs, funny poems, without a hint of preachiness or condescension, it would be this book and CD.
added by lampbane | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Nov 20, 2008)

Marlo Thomasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Viorst, JudithContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vonnegut Jr., KurtContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zolotow, CharlotteContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This Is the Foreword...
...which means you've just gotten this book, so the pages are still clean and unbent and unmarked, the cover is still shiny and still on—all the usual signs of a book that doesn't belong to anybody yet.

Running Press is proud to offer this beloved 1974 children's classic. It's the original, innovative book that celebrates diversity, challenges stereotypes, and encourages kids to be themselves in a joyful, positive manner, through a collection of songs, poems, and stories to be read aloud and shared with new generations. Also available in a Miniature Edition™

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:06 -0400)

A compilation of inspirational stories, songs and poems that celebrate individuality and challenge stereotypes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,761,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible