Antigone

by Sophocles

Series: Oedipus Cycle (3)

4,610601,868 (3.69)1 / 145
Oedipus, the former ruler of Thebes, has died. Now, when his young daughter Antigone defies her uncle, Kreon, the new ruler, because he has prohibited the burial of her dead brother, she and he enact a primal conflict between young and old, woman and man, individual and ruler, family and state, courageous and self-sacrificing reverence for the gods of the earth and perhaps self-serving allegiance to the gods of the sky. Echoing through western culture for more than two millennia, Sophocles' Antigone has been a touchstone of thinking about human conflict and human tragedy, the role of the divine in human life, and the degree to which men and women are the creators of their own destiny. This exciting translation of the play is extremely faithful to the Greek, eminently playable, and poetically powerful. For readers, actors, students, teachers, and theatrical directors, this affordable paperback edition of one of the greatest plays in the history of the western world provides the best combination of contemporary, powerful language, along with superb background and notes on meaning, interpretation, and ancient beliefs, attitudes, and contexts. "Sophocles' text is inexhaustibly actual. It is also, at many points, challenging and remote from us. The Gibbons-Segal translation, with its rich annotations, conveys both the difficulties and the formidable immediacy. The choral odes, so vital to Sophocles' purpose, have never been rendered with finer energy and insight. Across more than two thousand years, a great dark music sounds for us." --George Steiner, Churchill College, Cambridge "Produces a language that is easy to read and easy to speak.... Enthusiastically recommended."--Library Journal [Starred Review]… (more)

English (50)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  German (1)  All languages (60)
I was going to do review of the edition containing the whole Oedipus trilogy but I'm honestly so sick of Greek theater, and I just got 2 books that I'm super excited about, so I'm not going to read any more for now. Anyway, I guess I'm missing some context from the other two but in this one not much happens and like everyone dies. It honestly seems more like a parody of tragic theater. Why were they even fighting in the first place? The one virtue of this was the characterization was very well written.

This translation was very easy to read. I didn't really read the footnotes because they were all in a section at the end, and there were no numbers in the text to refer to them, so this is maybe not a very useful edition if you're an academic, but it was fine for my purposes. ( )
  jooniper | Sep 10, 2021 |
Didn’t read this translation, but Antigone by Sophocles ( )
  Nikki_Sojkowski | Aug 26, 2021 |
Late Fall 2018: Fall 2018, Teacher Read:

My Seniors are doing Oedipus, and my Sophomores are doing Antigone, and it seemed fitting that I should read the whole Theban Trilogy again since my daily life is half-immersed within it currently. I, honestly, couldn't remember if I had to read this one in college or not.

I still feel about the way I did in the last review. This is where we come full circle and the whole of Oedipus' house is dead, and Creon's house as well, pretty much-leaving everyone on the stage as corpses and the tale a tragedy of woe from beginning to end, for all those touched by the scourge.

Fall 2014:

Next piece read with my class. I don't really have a vast attachment to this play the way I do to some of the other Greek pieces. I do see the point behind it, and it has been great for getting my kids to think about some broad concepts, but this one sort of sailed over my head without much coming to rest because of it. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
classic statement of conflict between duty to family and duty to the state
  ritaer | May 10, 2021 |
I really, really enjoyed this play. I flew through it. It was entertaining, engaging, and easy to follow. the plot was littered with simplicities and complications, it was a work of genius. The translation was easy to understand, yet it still holds a great feeling to it, like reading Shakespear. It was not dumbed down or overly simplified. ( )
  afrozenbookparadise | Apr 22, 2021 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Ismene, my dear sister through common blood, do you know of any evil from Oedipus Zeus will not perform on us who still live?
My own flesh and blood—dear sister, dear Ismene,
how many griefs our father Oedipus handed down!
(Fagles translation)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,222,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible