Antigone (Greek text and translation)

by Sophocles

Series: Oedipus Cycle (3)

4,233491,979 (3.69)1 / 132
Oedipus, the former ruler of Thebes, has died. Now, when his young daughter Antigone defies her uncle, Kreon, the new ruler, because he has prohibited the burial of her dead brother, she and he enact a primal conflict between young and old, woman and man, individual and ruler, family and state, courageous and self-sacrificing reverence for the gods of the earth and perhaps self-serving allegiance to the gods of the sky. Echoing through western culture for more than two millennia, Sophocles' Antigone has been a touchstone of thinking about human conflict and human tragedy, the role of the divine in human life, and the degree to which men and women are the creators of their own destiny. This exciting translation of the play is extremely faithful to the Greek, eminently playable, and poetically powerful. For readers, actors, students, teachers, and theatrical directors, this affordable paperback edition of one of the greatest plays in the history of the western world provides the best combination of contemporary, powerful language, along with superb background and notes on meaning, interpretation, and ancient beliefs, attitudes, and contexts. "Sophocles' text is inexhaustibly actual. It is also, at many points, challenging and remote from us. The Gibbons-Segal translation, with its rich annotations, conveys both the difficulties and the formidable immediacy. The choral odes, so vital to Sophocles' purpose, have never been rendered with finer energy and insight. Across more than two thousand years, a great dark music sounds for us." --George Steiner, Churchill College, Cambridge "Produces a language that is easy to read and easy to speak.... Enthusiastically recommended."--Library Journal [Starred Review]… (more)

English (42)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (49)
Sophokles'in okuduğum ilk eseri. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |
I think it doesn't really make sense to rate something that's so old and canonised in the pantheon of tragedy. I suppose compared to Shakespeare it is a bit clunky and fast paced but Ancient Greece was an utterly different context to Shakespeare's as well as our own so I don't feel as though these criticisms don't really make sense.

I look forward to reading more Sophocles. ( )
  Neal_Anderson | Mar 18, 2020 |
Full review to come! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Ancient and yet so relevant to today. Antigone wants only to do what is right, to respect her slain brother by giving him a proper burial. But in this simple task, she is thwarted by laws of the State; because he attacked Thebes, her brother must be left for carrion. Antigone argues that there is a moral law higher than that of the State. She loses, with tragic results for everyone. ( )
  steller0707 | Aug 25, 2019 |
Owen Bennett Jones recently wrote on the Islamic State in the LRB. "Every time a Jihadi movement has won power it has lost popularity by failing to give the people what they want: peace, security and jobs." When I read that I thought about poor King Creon. I have always felt disturbed by the vice of fate in this play which steadily traps and crushes. It was Creon's hubris which caught my attention this time. Doesn't he have a mandate? I imagine him simply incredulous. Why this dissent? Subsequently I read a number of secondary pieces, though as I feared Creon is a symbol, whereas Antigone remains human, though her plight is class-conscious according to some, whereas others view matters as a collision of opposed ideas. Jean-Pierre Vernant and Pierre Vidal-Naquet explored such in their Myth and Tragedy in Ancient Greece.

Rather, it is between two different types of religious feeling; one is a family religion, purely private and confined to the small circle of close relatives, the philoi, centered around the domestic hearth and the cult of the dead; the other is a public religion in which the tutelary gods of the city eventually become confused with the supreme values of the State.

Who would have guessed that a few hundred years after the Enlightenment such rituals and disputation would remain foregrounded? My views on progress and positivism have been eroded greatly over the course of my adult life. A chill remains in the air and yet a glimmer of hope persists, even now. I hope to always harbor such impossibilities ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Ismene, my dear sister through common blood, do you know of any evil from Oedipus Zeus will not perform on us who still live?
Greek text of the Antigone. Don't combine with books that also include the Greek text of other plays (including other plays in the 'Oedipus cycle'), or with translations.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,452,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible