Saint Augustine (1999)

by Garry Wills

In this volume in the Lives series, Garry Wills, Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer, provides an incisive account of St Augustine of Hippo, whose ideas profoundly influenced Christian theology.

Well as usual, I wanted to finish this on Christmas Day/Night, but unfortunately as usual.... I didn't, so I finished it this morning.

This was a good look at Augustine's life, but not quite what I was expecting. I was expecting far more of a biography and a history of Augustine, and instead got kind of a break-down of some parts of his life, some thoughts on his writings, and a scholarly look at why Garry Wills version of Augustine thoughts is different (and since he's writing this, better - in his opinion) than those of previous scholars of Augustine. Its a short book, only about 150 pages, but its a slow read due to the writing style, and how the quotes are presented. Long - page long paragraphs that always tend to end in quotes also makes it harder to read and stop since it all kind of runs together, and with no clear chapters (only pauses for location changes, when Augustine moved from Thagaste to Carthage to Rome, to Hippo, etc.) it also makes it harder to read and go like at work or at home with children running around. ( )
  BenKline | Jun 30, 2021 |
Saint Augustine follows its subject from his youth in fourth-century Africa to his conversion and subsequent development as a theologian. It challenges the widely held misconceptions about Augustine’s sexual excesses and shows how, in embracing classical philosophy, Augustine managed to enlist “pagan authors” in the defense of Christianity. The result is a biography that makes a spiritual ancestor feel like our contemporary.
  ColumbusCatholic | Mar 22, 2015 |
There are as of this writing 33 Amazon reviews of this book,mostly by experts, and they are varied as to its place as a short introduction which is what Wills intended. I really like the book because it takes one of the most complex periods in European and North African history...Rome was dying, but they didn't know it,Christianity was already well esta lished, individuals such as St.A moved easily around the sea. I think it is a good introduction and leads the reader to want to learn more. ( )
3 vote carterchristian1 | Sep 4, 2010 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

To Fannia

gone but with us

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,471,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible