The Complete Peanuts: 1955-1956 Dailies &…

The Complete Peanuts: 1955-1956 Dailies & Sundays

by Charles M. Schulz

Collects all the "Peanuts" comic strips as originally published in newspapers, including both daily and Sunday strips.

The third volume of Fantographics complete reprinting of 'Peanuts' is just as gorgeous, but because of the repetition of some gags and punchlines (both within this book and from the older volumes) I feel obligated to knock a star off. The strips are still funny, the beauty of it is that these gags were just as funny 40 years of repeats later, but they're also the reason the strip got a stale reputation in the first place. But I can't hold that against Schulz, he couldn't possibly have guessed how popular his strip was going to become (in 1955 the circulation was still small) and ever be collected even. If you're writing a new strip every day you're going to reuse a joke or three.

[Awesome Comic Strip]

Snoopy still gets around for the most part on four paws, but he really begins to take off as something more than canine in this volume. His impressions of animals, famous personages, and neighborhood children take off, much to consternation of Charlie Brown. By this time Snoopy is definitely Charlie Brown's dog, too, whereas before he had been a true "neighborhood dog" or possibly even Shermy's.

[Awesome Comic Strip]

The timelessness of 'Peanuts' is a part of its charm but every once and awhile Schulz couldn't resist commenting on the emerging pop culture of the kid's, whether it was devotion for Miss Frances from a tv show called "Ding Dong School" or Davey Crocket. Schulz is best when he walks that line between "adult" awareness and conventions, and the simple dimensions of childhood thinking.

[Awesome Comic Strip]

This is the last volume I have on hand, and only because I bought it for my dad a few Christmases ago, his birth year, but I will be keeping an eye out for later volumes. There is some repetition, but plenty of genuine insight. Still, it's probably best I'm taking a break from them for awhile. GoComics has every 'Peanuts' strip, including reprints, up on their site but several aren't available by their original publication dates so some gems, like Charlie Brown's first tree'd kite, Linus' exposure to literary criticism from Lucy, and a great moral relativism lesson from Lucy and Linus, among others, can't appear today. But that left room for this:

[Awesome Comic Strip]

More than enough reason to continue on.

[Awesome Comic Strip]

Finally, I got a suprise treat in this volume. One of our "inherited" toys from older cousins was a Viewmaster and dozens of slide sets. You remember Viewmasters don't you? The paper disks you slid into the plastic goggles, the 3D images that changed with a satisfying click-shunk of a lever. One set we had was of Peanuts and this exact Sunday strip was one of them!

Complete Peanuts

Next: 'Volume Four: 1957-1958'

Previous: 'Volume Two: 1953-1954' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
It really does come together here, and you're not seeing the "learning curve" that was so obvious in the first books. At this point, there's no more "beginning"--it is a great strip.

One quibble: Lucy's determination to get married, and her disappointment that her kindergarten doesn't offer classes in homemaking. Eeeeech. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 29, 2013 |
The third volume of the complete "Peanuts", at one time my favorite comic strip. Things begin to develop and gel into a closer version of the strip I remember as a child. The bottom of pg. 12 has the first instance of Snoopy thinking his thoughts.Top of pg. 15 has Linus first talking, and introduces "Charlotte Braun" by name, a short-lived character. All the characters, though they range from four to six, human to dog, seem to be reaching a deeper level of sophistication, especially Linus and Snoopy. Top of pg. 114 is a particularly funny example of Snoopy's sarcasm, and the top of 115 an example of his tender feelings. Other notable strips are pgs. 158, 170, 197, 202 (1st Charlie Brown experience with kite up a tree), 227, 257, 276 (middle, more Snoopy sarcasm), 308 (Lucy and the football), and there's even an index at the back. ( )
  burnit99 | Feb 18, 2007 |
What can I say? This is the work of a genius. This particular set evokes warm fuzzy feelings when reading it. I particularly love how the strip focuses around the events of the time as well as the time of the year. ( )
  WittyreaderLI | Jun 16, 2006 |

Charles M. Schulzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Groening, MattIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Charlie Brownnnn

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,822,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible