Dead Beat

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (7)

Harry Dresden, Chicago's preeminent wizard is coping with his new roommate--vampire half-brother Thomas. Harry soon has problems bigger than Thomas' clutter to deal with. Marva, one of Harry's vampire foes, summons him with a threat to his police-lieutenant friend, Karin Murphy. Marva demands Harry get the Word of Kemmler for her, or she'll frame Murphy for murder. Harry doesn't even know what the Word is, but while he's trying to find out, and also what damage Marva will be able to do with it, several necromancers descend on Chicago. When Harry learns that the newcomers are students of Kemmler, an evil wizard who mastered ancient spirits in a way no one has since, he discovers that they are seeking the Word, too, in hopes of seizing the powerful knowledge within it and calling forth a powerful creature known as the Erlking.… (more)
    The Good Fight by Justin Robinson (Justin.T.Robinson)
    Justin.T.Robinson: Like any of the Dresden Files novels, The Good Fight features paranormal foes and action sequences set against the backdrop of a modern world-class city; in the case of TGF, it's Toronto rather than Chicago.

English (139)  German (1)  All languages (140)
This is a fun series that builds well on itself. Fast paced and fun, but I a find myself slowly losing some interest in it. Still, a good read in an arc with a growing mythology and cast. ( )
  Joe901 | Nov 2, 2021 |
This might be the best one yet, and possibly only for what Dresden animates ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
Ooh fun. A big bad necromancer (in this world, the driving force behind World War I) got taken out by the White Council decades ago. Unfortunately, he left behind a small pile of minions, who of course came calling on Dresden's home turf.

This is right in the running with Death Masks for my favorite thus far. There's a reason it has the highest Goodreads ranking among the first ten Dresden books...

There are a whole pile of awesome baddies, united in their necromantic powers but each with their own twists. Butters gets a serious boost and a lot more importance. We see a bit more of Thomas and Dresden's growing relationship as brothers.

Another awesome part is the whole new twist to come about from Lasciel's coin from the ending of Death Masks. We saw it building a bit in the last book, but things are coming to a head hear. I'll just say that I missed the twist the first time around and it blew me away. On re-reads, I can see just how carefully the hints are planted. It's lovely.

But really? The thing that puts this book right up there with the best of them? The final battle scene. A one-man polka band powered Tyrannosaurus rex brought back on a stormy Halloween night for one last hunt through the streets of Chicago. So cool.

One interesting note that I hadn't noticed before, but there's a part around the middle of this book where Dresden talks with Morty. He drops a line about how Murphy's dad was good people... And then corrects that to is good people. Coming from an ectomancer, that's an interesting line. Each re-read is fascinating to see how Butcher weaves his world together, both planting seeds well in advance or re-using minor plot points in major ways. We'll just leave it at that. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Book #7 is a doozy. Mavra from the Black Court of Vampires blackmails wizard Harry Dresden into getting her a copy of the Book of Kemmler (threatening to release incriminating photos of his police pal, Lt. Karrin Murphy.) The Book of Kemmler is an grimoire for necromancers to summon Darkhallow: a deadly ritual calling countless spirits back to life to render godlike powers. While the Wardens killed Kemmler, his very powerful necromancer disciples are all competing with Harry, who is battling some inner angels/demons. Bob the Skull used to be enslaved to Kemmler, and warns Harry of great peril. Chicago is being trashed while this battle goes on, with Halloween eve looming as the great showdown. Harry summons a famous Fae hunter and the wizard-enforcer Wardens coming to town to join forces with Harry. This book also develops the character of medical examiner, Waldo Butters, as another Dresden ally. (Weirdly absent is his longtime protector, Michael.) As usual, Harry bends the rules by animating the dead, choosing an unusual but worthy ally. Major chaos, major fun. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
One of my favorite in the series. ( )
  richvalle | Jul 11, 2021 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son. The best thing that ever happened to me. I love you, Short-stuff.
On the whole, we're a murderous race.
From Morgan, this was the equivalent of Emperor Constantine converting to Christianity. He was almost admitting that he had been wrong. I reached into my pocket, pulled out a penny, and dropped it to the floor.
"What was that for?" he asked.
"I'm just making sure gravity is still online," I said.
"By any chance does all of this knowledge and power and good advice come for only three easy installments of $19.95 plus shipping and handling?"
The fallen angel arched a golden brow at me.
"Or maybe it comes with a bonus set of knives tough enough to saw through a nail, yet still cut tomatoes like this!"
She regarded me steadily and said, "You aren't nearly as funny as you think you are."
"I had to come up with some kind of response to your offer to corrupt and enslave me. Bad jokes seemed perfectly appropriate because I can only assume that you've got to be kidding."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,388,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible