HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Furies of Calderon

by Jim Butcher

Series: Codex Alera (1)

In the realm of Alera, where people bond with the furies--elementals of earth, air, fire, water, wood, and metal--15-year-old Tavi struggles with his lack of furycrafting. As his homeland erupts in chaos--when rebels war with loyalists and furies clash with furies--Tavi's simple courage will turn the tides of war.… (more)
    Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (Morgester)
    Morgester: You just have to cheer for Yelena - Strong, vibrant characters and impressive narrative ability.
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (leahsimone)
    Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara (Morgester)
    Morgester: Strong characterization, compelling story.
    The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke (majkia)
    majkia: another coming of age book where young boy and young girl find they are more than they seem.
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (majkia)
    majkia: Another coming of age book, but granted, in a completely different environment. Still, both have strong central characters who grow, and change to the backdrop of war, and have a marked impact on their worlds.
    Progeny by R. T. Kaelin (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both of these works are Book One in their respective series and represent a wonderful foray into epic fantasy with expansive landscapes and well-drawn characters.
    Spellslinger by Sebastien De Castell (reading_fox)
    reading_fox: Both feature young boys without magic in an inherently magic using society and a more complex landscape than they'd expected growing up.
    The Spirit Thief by Rachel Aaron (epazia)

English (140)  German (2)  French (1)  All languages (143)
This is the first book in a five-part story. Do yourself a favor and just buy the whole set. By the time you get to the end of Furies, you will require the next one, and so on. The end of the last book is both satisfying and leaves room for more, a neat trick! Furies of Calderon introduces you to a complex world in which a few things seem familiar if you are at all versed in Roman history, but this world is way more complex.

This series is a very complex and compelling blend of historical fantasy and science fiction, by an author known for his world-building abilities.

terriaminute | Dec 4, 2022 |
Classier than Xanth, but the same disgusting approach to women. That was a chapter and a half I wish I hadn't seen.
  brutalstirfry | May 6, 2022 |
Si bien no llega al nivel de la fantasía de Geralt de Rivia o juego de tronos por ejemplo, es muy intenso, crudo, solido y entretenido ( )
  Enzokolis | Jan 17, 2022 |
{First of 7 of Codex Alera; fantasy, epic fantasy, re-read}

Review from March 2013:

It's been a couple of weeks since I read this book, so this is just a brief review. Butcher also wrote the 'Dresden Files', which I haven't read, but I've seen a couple of the TV programmes.

This is the first book in the Alera Codex, where the Calderon Valley is the northernmost part of the realm of Alera (which seems to be designed along Roman lines), and the first defense against the alien Marat hordes which, from time to time, try to invade through the only break in the mountain wall. All human adults are bonded with one or more furies, which are elementals of air, water, fire, earth, wood or metal, and allow their humans to influence their surroundings. We are not told, initially, but they confer other powers, too. For instance, those bonded with fire can affect emotions, those with earth have superhuman strength, and those bonded with water furies are able to heal (though that connection was a bit tenuous for me)

Tavi, a fifteen year old boy, is the only human known who has not bonded on maturity with a fury, however weak, and he is considered a cripple of sorts, as he therefore cannot 'furycraft'. However, he has courage aplenty, and, in spite of (or because of) his weakness, turns out to be a hero.

I really liked this story; the action is fast-paced, and engaging. We also see affairs from other people's points of view, not just Tavi's; we see sorceror's and politicians, and the in-fighting of those who would be emperor, or believe they are saving the empire, and get a well-rounded view of the Aleran world. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

4.5 stars ( )
  humouress | Oct 18, 2021 |
3.5 Stars. Full Review soon. ( )
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frangie, RitaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my son, hero in training.
And in memory of my father, a hero in truth.
The course of history is determined not by battles, by sieges, or usurpations, but by the actions of the individual.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,293,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible