The Last Hot Time (2001)

by John M. Ford

Other authors: Tristan Elwell (Cover artist)

When Danny Holman leaves the cornfields of Iowa for the bright lights of Chicago, he expects his life to change. He just can't guess how much and how fast. A violent incident on the road brings Danny the favor of a man known only as Mr. Patrise, who gives Danny a job, a home, and a new identity. The City is a different world from the one Danny--now called Doc--knew, and literally so. Long-vanished powers have returned, and more is going on in the streets than nightlife and street warfare. Power is gathering: a power rooted in terror, madness, and death. To fight it will require Doc to face what he fears most. To defeat it will take something more than courage.… (more)

There is a lot packed into this short book. ( )
  wunder | Feb 3, 2022 |
Dang. Good. Book. ( )
  bardbooks | Nov 11, 2021 |
I liked this fantasy of a man who crosses worlds to become a doctor for otherworldly characters. ( )
  krin5292 | Sep 3, 2020 |
This is a new Bordertown story. It does stand on its own; nothing requires the reader to even suspect the existence of the other stories, much less have read them. Danny Holman, a young man with considerable experience as an emergency medical technician, flees his old life for the City, and along the way he gets hooked up with Mr. Patrise, who appears to be a somewhat senior gangster. Danny, with his EMT skills, becomes Doc Hallownight, and settles in, more or less, to his new life, providing much-needed emergency medical services after, and sometimes during, shoot-outs. He also acquires a girlfriend and other friends, elf and human, and slowly and painfully starts to learn a few things about himself. Elves are almost inescapably alluring to humans, but elf culture is fairly appalling, morally, when you look at it. There's more than a hint of its nature in the fact that the elves' name for themselves is Truebloods. Some of the inhabitants of Bordertown, both elf and human, have noticed this.

The book is far too short to say anything more about the plot without spoilers, but this is one of the stronger Bordertown stories. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
I picked this book up, purely because it's by [author:John M Ford]. I read his two Star Trek novels, [book:How Much for Just the Planet], and [book:The Final Reflection], and very much wanted more of his work. [book:The Final Reflection], in particular, really impressed me.

So I didn't quite know what to expect from [book:The Last Hot Time]. I had to readjust my expectations several times, but this wasn't at all a bad thing. The book is gripping, fast-paced, powerful urban fantasy. The setting starts out real-world, and you get to follow the main character into the fantasy elements.

This is one I think I'll have to re-read, and I feel sure I'll get more from it then. There are layers I felt go by me, without being able to see them. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |

John M. Fordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elwell, TristanCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,240,005 books! | Top bar: Always visible