Roverandom by J. R. R. Tolkien

Roverandom (1998)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Other authors: Wayne G. Hammond (Editor), Christina Scull (Editor)

English (15)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
It was a cute story with merpeople and dragons and a dog with wings and Xerxes and the moon. I love the moon. ( )
  crimsonjade | Aug 30, 2018 |
I actually didn’t enjoy this book, the story was a little too disjointed for me, but I bet my kids would love it. Which is who it is aimed at.
For more reviews see my blog: https://adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
I absolutely loved this book! It was written by Tolkien for his son who had lost a favorite toy dog of his. The story is obviously geared for children, but the writing style of Tolkien's other works is quite evident here and so it really can be enjoyed by adults as well.

I actually enjoyed getting to read about the fantastical adventures of a dog turned toy, turned moon-dog, turned mer-dog, turned back to real dog. They were cutesy while still being a bit adventurous.

My favorite section was when Rover (Roverandom) was on the moon. I liked getting to read about the different beings that lived there and the different things revolving around the Moon Man. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |

Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
This one is completely unknown to me. Part of boxed set. The cover artwork reminds me of the Father Christmas letters.
  overthemoon | Jul 27, 2016 |

This book is dedicated
to the memory of
Michael Hilary Reuel Tolkien
1920-1984
Once upon a time there was a little dog, and his name was Rover. He was very small, and very young, or he would have known better

In 1925, four-year-old Michael Tolkien lost his beloved toy dog on the beach. To console him, his father, J.R.R. Tolkien, improvised a story about Rover, a real dog who is magically transformed into a toy and is forced to seek out the wizard who wronged him in order to be returned to normal. This charming tale, peopled by a sand-sorcerer and a terrible dragon, by the king of the sea and the Man-in-the-Moon, endured several drafts over the years. Now, more than seventy years later, the adventures of Rover are published for the first time. Rich in wit and wordplay, Roverandom is edited and introduced by Christina Scull and Wayne G. Hammond and illustrated with Tolkien's own delightful drawings.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:20 -0400)

A dog who has been turned into a toy dog encounters rival wizards and experiences various adventures on the moon with giant spiders, dragon moths, and the Great White Dragon.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,812,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible