Smith of Wootton Major (1967)

by J. R. R. Tolkien

Other authors: Sir Derek Jacobi (Narrator)

Series: Middle-earth (5.4)

9271919,626 (3.84)23
Two of Tolkien's most popular and charming stories, full of wit and humour, available together for the first time on CD.

English (15)  German (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (19)
This is a really neat story, and it feels like a classic fairy story even though it's much more modern than the fairy tales I grew up with. (Yes, I know, Tolkien is not "modern" now, just by comparison to traditional fairy tales.) The illustrations in it were a perfect complement.

Note: I did not read any of the additional material, just the story itself. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 23, 2022 |
A deceptively simple tale of a fairy touched man, how he became so, his wanderings into fairyland and encounters with fairies, and his life at home as a smith. Written in a detached somewhat wistful tone. ( )
  quondame | May 1, 2018 |
A delightful fun JRR Tolkien piece of work. I went to the Hershey Public Library looking for a homebrew book, but they didn't have it, and browsing around I came across this, and having never even heard of it, I decided to give it a read.

It's a children's book and done really well, I will probably get it out again to read to my daughters once I'm done with the Narnia series. There's not a 'whole lot' to it, but it is about how to be respectful to others and to keep faith in the Faery kingdom, something I know my oldest will absolutely love.

For any JRR Tolkien fan (LTTR, Hobbit, etc.) it's definitely worth a pick up and read. It's all of 74 pages with numerous illustrations and big font, easily something to read for an hour or two in an afternoon. ( )
  BenKline | Aug 7, 2016 |
Part of boxed set. Small and delightful. 216 pp (contrary to what is registered on LT) ( )
  overthemoon | Jul 27, 2016 |
A great short tale of a magical faery realm. ( )
  Gregorio_Roth | Dec 5, 2014 |

Murro, IsabellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, PanuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sauvant, HenrietteCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Segercrantz, KristinaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There was a village once, not very long ago for those with long memories, not very far away for those with long legs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,037,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible