The Whole Shebang: A…

The Whole Shebang: A State-of-the-Universe(s) Report (1997)

by Timothy Ferris

A non-technical account of recent astronomical research makes all that is known about the universe accessible to the average reader, in a study that integrates scientific personalities with hard facts, vivid explanations, and authoritative speculation.
Recently added bymeir77, lakkal, thomasgun, adstastic, private library, RSEthipohia10, Hercules40, ASRAS

A State-of-the-Universe Report
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
A great follow up to books like Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. Anyone who enjoys that book is sure to enjoy this as well. The stuff on quantum weirdness is just absolutely mindblowing! ( )
  boweraj | Jun 2, 2009 |
Thoroughly enjoyable summary of our knowledge of the universe. Ferris is an excellent science writer. ( )
  yapete | Jun 1, 2008 |
Ferris, Timothy. The Whole Shebang. Simon & Schuster, New York, 1997. Amazingly easy to read. My only complaint is that there is little material in the book that I didn't already know---although T.F. can hardly be blamed for my background! However, it's amazing how effortless he made the explanations seem. I particularly enjoyed his section on quantum weirdness (new material for me). I wish he'd gone into more detail into the physics of some of the theories---however, I realize that isn't appropriate for a general audience.
1 vote BrianDewey | Aug 1, 2007 |
The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings.
--R. L. Stevenson
For J.B.F.
We live in a changing universe, and few things are changing faster than our conception of it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,182,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible