Pump Six and Other Stories by Paolo…

Pump Six and Other Stories (2008)

by Paolo Bacigalupi

The Olive Readers by Christine Aziz (bergs47)
    Cyberabad Days by Ian McDonald (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are short story collections that seem to accurately capture the trials and tribulations of the near future.

English (39)  French (2)  All languages (41)
I bought this as part of the Humble eBook Bundle about a year ago. It's a collection of short stories, mostly scifi. All the stories were well-written, but almost all of them were so bleak that I can't say it was a very enjoyable read. I didn't enjoy the two or three biopunk stories, but I think that's because of my own body horror issues - fans of the genre would probably like them better. Not sure how I feel about this one. ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |
note: some of these stories are set in the same world as the sf novel The Windup Girl. ( )
  macha | Mar 16, 2019 |
After pawing through the first story in Pump Six, I imagined it would constitute serial penalty kicks for the grim master. Having just completed the final, titular story, I found Bacigalupi less-than-Lampard but still able to fill the net. Maybe I'm a poor keeper.

Shoving aside my aversions to both stories and matters that involve outer space, I was certainly moved by the philosophy of the collection as a whole. We perceive these threats in our trends our habits, our waste. We don't dare ponder an intensification of such, thankfully, Mr. Bacigalupi does. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Out of eleven stories in the book, ten can be described as environmental sci-fi. Following footsteps of such sci-fi giants as F. Herbert, but setting the stories on the Earth in more or less distant future. I cannot say whether all stories are assumed to be pieces of a single narrative, probably not. At least two stories, ‘The Calorie Man’ and ‘Yellow Card Man’ are set in the same world as ‘the windup girl’ and the second is a prequel to the novel.
The multitude of themes are risen – population control, especially during high mutations or achieved immortality; bio-modification of human – will it turn them into something else; difference between intelligence and wisdom; even satire (?) on property rights enforcement gone mad.
It I have to chose top three stories they would be:
1. Pump six, for the surreally real world that becomes too stupid for its own good
2. The Pasho, for the great story and allusions, for practices of the Quaran[-tine]
3. Yellow card man, for describing the plight of refugees
Overall, a nice read, maybe too gloomy in places.
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
A decent collection of sci-fi short stories, Pump Six etc. is notable for its lack of green little men. No sir, you will find no green little men descending onto Earth to blow us all up, only to be eventually thwarted by humanity's ingenuity, or else Will Smith. And thank Bacigalupi for that.

Instead, Bacigalupi focuses on topics that we are much more likely to experience first hand in the not so distant future. Genetic engineering, for example. Patent trolling. Megacorps taking over (like we're not there already). Rise of nationalism in Asia and immigration difficulties. Water and energy shortage. Population dumbification.

Several neat stories are definitely included, but there perhaps isn't one so good that it carries the book to excellency. Many of the characters are rather bland and generic and he has this annoying propensity for ending the story just as it gets interesting. I'm sure there's a larger philosophical point to be made about this, as in, "a good story begins in the reader's mind after the author is done with it", or some such, but to be honest, I just found it frustrating.

In the end, this is still most definitely worth your time. If the stories seem eerie and ominous, it's because we all know this is coming. Hell, some of the things are happening already. Three and a half stars. ( )
1 vote matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |

Paolo Bacigalupiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Podaný, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
La fille-flûte restait blottie dans la pénombre, serrant le dernier cadeau de Stephen entre ses petites mains pâles. (La fille-flûte)
Mouvement hostile ! (Peuple de sable et de poussière)
Dans les rues léchées par la pluie du vieux Chengdu, Wang Jun regardait Huojianzhu à travers la bruine. (Du dharma plein les poches)
Le vent sec charriait l'odeur âcre des feux de bouse. (Le pasho)
— Pas de mama, pas de papa, le pauvre petit chéri. Argent ? Tu donnes de l'agent ? (L'homme des calories)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159780133X, Hardcover)

Paolo Bacigalupi's debut collection demonstrates the power and reach of the science fiction short story. Social criticism, political parable, and environmental advocacy lie at the center of Paolo's work. Each of the stories herein is at once a warning, and a celebration of the tragic comedy of the human experience. The eleven stories in Pump Six represent the best Paolo's work, including the Hugo nominee "Yellow Card Man," the nebula and Hugo nominated story "The People of Sand and Slag," and the Sturgeon Award-winning story "The Calorie Man."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:13 -0400)

Social criticism, political parable, and environmental advocacy lie at the center of Paolo Bacigalupi's work. Each of the stories herein is at once a warning and a celebration of the tragic comedy of the human experience. The eleven stories in Pump Six represent the best of Paolo Bacigalupi's work, including the Hugo nominee "Yellow Card Man," the Nebula-and Hugo-nominated story "The People of Sand and Slag," and the Sturgeon Award-winning story "The Calorie Man."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,301,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible