Pump Six and Other Stories (2008)

by Paolo Bacigalupi

The eleven stories in Pump Six chart the evolution of Paolo Bacigalupi's work, including the Hugo nominated "Yellow Card Man," and the Sturgeon Award-winning story "The Calorie Man," both set in the world of his novel The Windup Girl. This collection also demonstrates the power and reach of the science fiction short story. Social criticism, political parable, and environmental advocacy lie at the center of Bacigalupi's work. Each of the stories herein is at once a warning and a celebration of the tragic comedy of the human experience.… (more)
    The Olive Readers by Christine Aziz (bergs47)
    Cyberabad Days by Ian McDonald (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both are short story collections that seem to accurately capture the trials and tribulations of the near future.

English (42)  French (2)  All languages (44)
Dark & disturbing stories of possible near (and far)-futures. The one recurring theme is scarcity of resources and how these different, very plausible, societies deal with it. Two of the stories are pre-cursors to 'The Windup Girl' and fill in more details on how the world depicted there came to exist. ( )
  ScoLgo | Apr 22, 2021 |
Amazing science fiction with an eco-focus. Bacigalupi understands the challenges our planet faces, and he understands power. I'm sure I will read this book again many times. "The Fluted Girl" is my favorite story. ( )
  dreamweaversunited | Apr 27, 2020 |
only a few duds, the rest well-written and imaginative if a bit gloomy. If you pick one to read, go for "The People of Sand and Slag" ( )
  mvayngrib | Mar 22, 2020 |
Lots of really interesting and creepy ideas in these short stories of possible futures. "Softer" was amazing. Exceptionally talented writing there. Some stories I wished were full length novels. Particularly "The People of Sand and Slag" and "Pop Squad." ( )
  MorganDax | Jan 28, 2020 |
I bought this as part of the Humble eBook Bundle about a year ago. It's a collection of short stories, mostly scifi. All the stories were well-written, but almost all of them were so bleak that I can't say it was a very enjoyable read. I didn't enjoy the two or three biopunk stories, but I think that's because of my own body horror issues - fans of the genre would probably like them better. Not sure how I feel about this one. ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |

Paolo Bacigalupiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Podaný, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
La fille-flûte restait blottie dans la pénombre, serrant le dernier cadeau de Stephen entre ses petites mains pâles. (La fille-flûte)
Mouvement hostile ! (Peuple de sable et de poussière)
Dans les rues léchées par la pluie du vieux Chengdu, Wang Jun regardait Huojianzhu à travers la bruine. (Du dharma plein les poches)
Le vent sec charriait l'odeur âcre des feux de bouse. (Le pasho)
— Pas de mama, pas de papa, le pauvre petit chéri. Argent ? Tu donnes de l'agent ? (L'homme des calories)
The trade edition differs from the limited edition in that it omits "Small Offerings."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,932,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible