The Steel Remains (2008)

by Richard K. Morgan

Series: A Land Fit for Heroes (1)

A man named Ringil, hero from a great war, living nearly forgotten and obsolete in a backcountry village, is asked to find a lost cousin, drawing him back into a world that he'd thought he left behind long ago.
    Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook (dClauzel)
    dClauzel: De la fantaisie noire, avec des sorciers à la volonté impérialiste, des guerres menées par des mercenaires, des révoltes opprimées dans le sang, et un sentiment éternel que de toute façon au final rien ne pourra changer pour le mieux, donc autant essayer quand même.… (more)
    The Iron Wolves: Book 1 of The Rage of Kings by Andy Remic (bj)
    The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (imyril)
    imyril: Two very different authors tackle fantasy stereotypes and subvert them with glee. Abercrombie focuses on antiheroes - the coward, the torturer, the berserker - whereas Morgan takes more traditional heroes and then soaks them in noir. The results are delightfully wicked, blood-soaked and utterly readable.… (more)

English (77)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (79)
This book went on way too long. I never really understood the motivations of most of the main characters.

Which reminds me - is this actually a sequel? I got super-tired of hearing about the past in pretty vague terms *constantly*. Abandoning the book for a few days at a time didn't help me keep up with all of the names/allegiances. I couldn't understand what was so horrifying about the dwenda in the end. I don't understand how Ringil ended up in his relationship. Was it also supposed to be some sort of deconstruction of the dark lord rising up to terrorize the land?

I couldn't make myself care about anybody but Archeth in the end. She was the only character that seemed to care about more than just herself, more than just getting laid. She and the emperor were the most human characters to me.

Oh, also, the author's fascination with different ways to count two of something. Braces, pairs, etc.
  Tikimoof | Feb 17, 2022 |
A bit clunky, a bit slow to start, and the three main characters were literally magicked together to fight the big battle at the end, which was a little disappointing, because there is something really fun and exciting when 3 disparate plotlines can meet up gracefully. It almost felt like the writer couldn't quite figure out how to get all of the characters together, so he created a mysterious character to make it happen. Which begs the question, if this character is so powerful, and has magical abilities that can transport people around this world, why doesn't he fight this battle? Perhaps an intriguing answer can be found in the next book. Overall, this grimdark adventure almost didn't come together for me. I realized partway through that I didn't like the main character. His shitty attitude came across as less clever, and more asshole. But I guess that was the point, because this wasn't necessarily a setup for a hero, but for a villain. But future volumes will perhaps clarify that character development as well. ( )
  quickmind | Jan 29, 2022 |
Brutal and great fun. ( )
  brakketh | Sep 29, 2021 |
“Cover quotes from Joe Abercrombie and Steven Erikson hinted that we were going to be in down-in-the-dirt fantasy territory.”

The Steel Remains by Richard K Morgan is an epic fantasy novel featuring a gay central character. Find out more here.

#TheSteelRemains #richardmorgan #fantasy #swordandsorcery #epic #magic #JohnCAdamsReviews #JohnCAdams #FantasyFriday #Fiction #Book #Review #Reviews #BookReview #BookReviews #books ( )
  johncadamssf | Sep 10, 2021 |
The first of a trilogy, but weirdly, the weakest of the three, I thought. Previously, I'd read Morgan's "Takeshi Kovacs" books, which were pulpy-noir-SF featuring a world-weary protagonist who likes taking stimulants and is just so damn gritty that he's an unbeatable fighter ... and lo! the central character here is a world-weary master swordsman who likes taking stimulants and is just so damn gritty that he's an unbeatable fighter.

That said, it was a fun read, and the second and third books in the trilogy added some depth and complexity and got a lot better, as a result. The sex scenes are all a little wham-bam, but maybe that's how they do things, there. ( )
  qBaz | May 28, 2021 |

Morgan, Richard K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

'I think you look on death as your friend,' she murmured. 'That is a strange friend for a young man to have.'
'The only faithful friend in this world,' he said bitterly. 'Death is always sure to be at your side.'

Poul Anderson
The Broken Sword
This book is for my father, John Morgan, for carrying me past the seaweed.
When a man you know to be of sound mind tells you his recently deceased mother has just tried to climb in his bedroom window and eat him, you only have two basic options.
"Forget the law. It isn't going to help. They'll cite it where it suits them, ignore it where it doesn't. They're clerics, Archeth. They spend their whole fucking lives selectively interpreting textual authority to advantage."

Emperor Jhiral to Archeth, p.325

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,188,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible