Arabesques (1986)

by Anton Shammas

Available again, Arabesques is a classic, complex novel of identity, memory, and history in the Middle East and points beyond--including Iowa and New York City. Anton Shammas, the first Arab to write a novel in Hebrew, has given us a riveting look at a people we hear too little about: Palestinian Christians. Arabesques was chosen as one of the best books of 1988 by the editors of the New York Times Book Review.… (more)

Finished Arabesques which was really wonderful though I couldn't decide whether or not to take careful notes, make a chronology and a few family trees...moreFinished Arabesques which was really wonderful though I couldn't decide whether or not to take careful notes, make a chronology and a few family trees or to give myself over to the highly circular and poetic narrative that doubled back and repeated itself with much twinning of characters and plot. I did a little of both Fantastic book and an excellent choice for the J Street Reading Group ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
not perfecrt structure, but excellent imagery ( )
  experimentalis | Mar 19, 2008 |

Anton Shammasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cardona, IsabelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Most first novels are disguised autobiographies.
This autobiography is a disguised novel.

Clive James, Unreliable Memoirs
Grandmother Alia had never in her life heard of communism, despite the sickle laid upon her belly on Thursday, the first of April, 1954.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible