Collected Sonnets (1959)

by Edna St. Vincent Millay, Edna St. Vincent Millay

More than 180 sonnets selected from Millay's books of poems--including 20 sonnets from Mine the Harvest not contained in previous editions of her Collected Sonnets--are brought together in this expanded edition. An introduction by Norma Millay, written expressly for this volume, focuses on examples of the poet's variations in sonnet structure. Here is the voice of Millay, whose prophetic vision, devotion to freedom, and intellectual daring combine with her mastery of the sonnet form to speak eloquently for the human spirit.… (more)

If Shakespeare be the king of the sonnet, Edna St. Vincent Millay is clearly the queen. Classically structures but incredibly modern. Sexy, depressing, beautiful. ( )
  wahoo8895 | Nov 20, 2022 |
I fell desperately in love with Millay after reading "First Fig" in my history textbook. Some years later, I chose my college partly based upon the fact that she had gone there. Funny, irreverant, passionate and smart, Millay's work has incredible rhythm, rhyme, and impact. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
"What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why,
I have forgotten...but the rain
Is full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh
Upon the glass and listen for reply..." ( )
  Diane-bpcb | Nov 29, 2015 |
We were very happy, we were very merry
We rode back and forth all day on the ferry
  pedestrian | Dec 8, 2007 |

Edna St. Vincent Millayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Millay, Edna St. Vincentmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Millay, NormaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Legacy Library: Edna St. Vincent Millay

Edna St. Vincent Millay has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Edna St. Vincent Millay's legacy profile.

See Edna St. Vincent Millay's author page.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,853,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible