The Lais of Marie de France by Marie de…

The Lais of Marie de France

by Marie de France

Other authors: Robert Hanning (Illustrator)

A prose retelling of the narrative poems, composed in the twelth century by Marie of France, dealing with courtly love, chivalric adventure, and the struggle between good and evil.
    The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun together with The Corrigan Poems by J. R. R. Tolkien (amanda4242)
    Medieval romance: themes and approaches (English literature) by John E. Stevens (waltzmn)
    The Origins of the Four Branches of the Mabinogi by Andrew Breeze (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: The Lais are known to be by a French woman writing in England in the 12th century, while The Four Branches of the Mabinogi, written in Welsh, were probably by a 12th-century woman (as the study argues); both are narratives of great beauty and power.

English (12)  Spanish (1)  All languages (13)
An accessible translation by Eugene Mason, which is eminently readable: no cod-medieval language, although the syntax tends to the archaic. Various tales of love, both courtly and profane set mostly in Brittany. Enjoyable.
  Maddz | Oct 4, 2017 |
Marie de France... a woman writer 14th c. -- an automatic must read, and well worth it. Short stories about knights and ladies, evil queens and knavery, originally in a poetic format, easily as entertaining as Bocaccio's Decameron. Fun to read and to re-read. ( )
  grheault | Jan 30, 2014 |
If you like fairy tales or weird pomo fiction, read this book. Neither pomo nor fairy tales, the Lais of Marie de France will satisfy you, especially if you are me. I'm going to read all of her works, I've decided. Marie is tons of fun. ( )
1 vote veranasi | Jan 17, 2014 |
I studied Guigemar and Bisclavret, and I ended up wanting to read the rest of Marie de France's lais. Bisclavret is one of my favourites, really, possibly due to reading William Burgwinkle's criticism of it and being amused to see it as a gay love story. Most of the lais are short and very easy to read, dwelling on knights and their lovers. I quite liked Lanval, as well, the Arthurian lai. Some of them have little morals in them, some of them are just sweet little stories (or sometimes rather bitter little stories, like Yonec, in which the lady's beloved dies!). I like the translation, even if it's put into prose instead of the original verse: it's easy to read and captures the air of storytelling. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Marie de France is one of the earliest known female authors, though we know little about her beyond her name, that she wrote in French and was evidently of French origin, and that she spent part of her life in England. To that extent, I found myself interested by these stories, and from a historical perspective there's a lot here. But my problem with the stories—and the reason why I'm a socio-economic historian and not a scholar of literature—is that they reflect such different sensibilities from mine that I find it extremely difficult to relate to the characters or to understand their actions. Marie does a better job than most medieval authors at making her characters something more than mere ciphers whose primary task is to communicate a moral lesson, but there was still more than one occasion where I found myself completely unable to believe that someone would (re)act in the way they did here. There's a lot of telling, not showing, and I find that difficult to relate to. (I read the edition translated by Robert Hanning and Joan Ferrante, which is a model of clarity; good explanatory notes.) ( )
  siriaeve | Mar 31, 2013 |

Slavitt, David R.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walter, PhilippeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warnke, KarlEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ki Deus ad duné escïence /
E de parler bon eloquence /
Ne s'en deit taisir ne celer, /
Ainz se deit volunters mustrer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,170,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible