Down by the Cool of the Pool by Tony Mitton

Down by the Cool of the Pool (2001)

by Tony Mitton

animals (68) Books on Tape (4) CD (7) children (5) children's (7) dance (15) dancing (17) farm (16) farm animals (15) fiction (24) frogs (47) Listening Center (5) movement (10) music (5) picture book (24) poetry (6) pond (21) pond life (6) ponds (19) pool (6) repetition (10) rhyme (22) rhymes (6) rhyming (40) rhythm (5) song (7) spring (7) summer (7) tape (5) water (6)

This book is a modern fantasy that I really enjoyed and I feel like younger students would enjoy even more. The writing of the book was done in a fun, yet organized way that was still easy to follow along with. The words were written in the form of a wave, which relates back to the book being about the animals at a pond. The author used fun words for each animal like “whee” for the frog, “flap” for the duck, “wiggle” for the pig and so forth. Using descriptive, action words like that make it easier for the children to picture what the animals are doing and to even get involved with the story. The children could follow along with the story for acting out the words like wiggle and flap. This makes the story more interactive and appealing to the children instead of just words on a page that they are forced to read. Also, I liked this book because of the illustrations. On every page, the animals all had a smile on their faces and they were all getting along as they danced. The illustrations helped set the mood for the book because seeing all the animal’s smiling faces put me in a better mood and evoked an emotion out of me. I also noticed that the way the words rhymed and flowed and the way the illustrations were made me sing the book as a song. The author says, “Goat butted in with and a hop, and frog cried, “Wheeee! That’s great! Don’t stop”. I was silently reading in my head, but I noticed I had created a tune to go along with the story because so much excitement was created and the words flowed together so nicely. The big idea of this story is that even though all the animals were different and made different movements or sounds, they were all able to dance together and have a good time. This shows children that they should try to make friends with everyone even if they aren’t just like them. ( )
  SaraColvin | Feb 5, 2014 |
I love rhyming books and this one was especially good because of all the movement and fun things in the book. The animals make it a fun read and are illustrated very beautifully.
  Hayley.Tuttle | Apr 20, 2012 |
A fun book to use when working on onomatopoeia, vivid verbs and playfulness with text and font. Words dance as much as the animals in this book! It feels joyful and vibrant. ( )
  szanes | Jul 15, 2011 |
Cute story for all ages. Its about a frog and many other animals down at the pool. All the animals join in with their own dance. The words are written funny on the page and its very busy! Fun book!
  TorrieM | Mar 3, 2009 |
this book is a very cute book, starting off with a frog dancing and asking others to cance along. as you turn the page he gets a new friend to join him doing something different. this is a book you could use movement with, have the kids do what the animals are doing or saying.
  Esus15 | Dec 5, 2008 |
For George, Harriet, Doris, and Guthrie, and cool of the pool in France - TM
For the lovely chucklesome little Joe - GP-R
Down by the pool in the cool of the day, Frog cried, "Wheeeee! Can you dance like me?"

From the creators of Giraffes Can't Dance, Down By the Cool of the Pool is a sure-fire hit with fun, rhyming text, and zany illustrations.

There's flipping and flopping, splishing and splashing, wiggling and waggling down by the cool of the pool. Frog, Duck, Horse, Pig, and the rest of the gang dance and sing their way through this wacky, watery wonderful story told with a catchy rhyming text and bold, vibrant illustrations. The fun is positively infectious, and you just may find yourself dancing and singing along with Frog and his frolicking friends. Children will delight in this rollicking farmyard romp, an adventure in musical activity--perfect for the nonstop toddler.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:53 -0400)

Frog and the other animals have a dancing good time both in and out of the water in the cool of the pool.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,565,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible