Annie on My Mind (1982)

by Nancy Garden

Liza puts aside her feelings for Annie after the disaster at school, but eventually she allows love to triumph over the ignorance of people.
    Pink by Lili Wilkinson (kaledrina)
    The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    My Tiki Girl by Jennifer McMahon (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: Annie on My Mind is the classic; but, first published in 1982, it may be a bit dated in the issue that it addresses. My Tiki Girl (2008), which deals with peer pressure and harassment and also includes issues of children suffering from parental abuse or neglect, may be of more immediate contemporary interest.… (more)
    Happy Endings Are All Alike by Sandra Scoppettone (veritas)
    Nothing Pink by Mark Hardy (weener)
    Crush (Orca Soundings) by Carrie Mac (infiniteletters)
    Dare Truth or Promise by Paula Boock (Aquila)
    Aquila: This won the NZ children's book awards a few years back.

The story of two high school girls who meet in their senior year, become fast and close friends, and then move from friendship to love. They try to keep their relationship a secret because they worry that their families and friends won't understand, and when they are discovered, those worst fears become reality.
I understand why this book, published in 1982, made the 100 Banned Books list, as I suspect it had all kinds of conservative knickers in all kinds of twists. It's a great book, though, and the love story between Liz and Annie is lovingly and well told, and the uproar caused by their relationship is deftly depicted in what seems to me likely accurate terms. Recommended. ( )
1 vote electrascaife | Sep 30, 2021 |
This is a beautiful love story between two girls and the writing is very sublime. The tale of close friendship and intense first love is depicted in a very endearing way and I found myself rooting for the pair right from the beginning. The characters, their confusion, their pain - everything is very realistic and empathetic.

There is some homophobia in the story from other characters but it’s kinda true to the times but the girls also receive guidance and support from unexpected quarters. The ending is slightly bittersweet but also hopeful and we can definitely see why this book has had so much impact even after more than two decades of its publication. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
Me ha dejado blandita (e indignada hacia el final, por razones de la trama). Y espero que se lea en institutos porque, aunque hayan pasado tantos años desde su publicación, tiene algunos aspectos aún vigentes. ( )
  essuniz | Jan 2, 2021 |
All I can say is even after 20+ years, it's still a classic that holds up over time. Well worth the read. ( )
  EdGoldberg | May 16, 2020 |
A very sweet book I'd recommend for everyone! This is less about homosexuality than the complications that arise from falling in love with the "wrong" person, and the romance in here is very tenderly, very sympathetically portrayed, and despite those weird affectations in dialogue and mannerism that seem recurring in all 70s/80s YA fiction (who talks like this??) is realistic. I relate more to GLBT lit for kids than regular lit for kids because it deals with stuff outside the typical straight lady paradigms of shopping, boys, whatever. I read this after watching "Heavenly Creatures", because even though I don't identify as a matricidal young lesbian, I relate to that movie intensely. Same here: we're kind of reconciled to the impossibility of their relationship early on and their outsider status, so the book explores more complex emotions, the girls have hobbies outside of one another, they're more interesting and more dynamic than say, Bella from Twilight, or any of the Judy Blume characters praying for big tits and true love. The prose in here is surprisingly nice, totally navigable for pre-teens but with touches of real grace and eloquence too. Lovely! ( )
1 vote uncleflannery | May 16, 2020 |
It's raining, Annie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,250,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible