Annie on My Mind (1982)

by Nancy Garden

Liza puts aside her feelings for Annie after the disaster at school, but eventually she allows love to triumph over the ignorance of people.
    Pink by Lili Wilkinson (kaledrina)
    The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson (kaledrina)
    My Tiki Girl by Jennifer McMahon (CurrerBell)
    CurrerBell: Annie on My Mind is the classic; but, first published in 1982, it may be a bit dated in the issue that it addresses. My Tiki Girl (2008), which deals with peer pressure and harassment and also includes issues of children suffering from parental abuse or neglect, may be of more immediate contemporary interest.… (more)
    Happy Endings Are All Alike by Sandra Scoppettone (veritas)
    Nothing Pink by Mark Hardy (weener)
    Crush (Orca Soundings) by Carrie Mac (infiniteletters)
    Dare Truth or Promise by Paula Boock (Aquila)
    Aquila: This won the NZ children's book awards a few years back.

Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden (1982)
  sharibillops | May 20, 2022 |
when i was 12, i checked this out from the library. i let it sit in my closet untouched for 3 weeks (at 12 i didn’t quite grasp the humor of that) because i was scared to read it, and then i returned it to the library and never thought about it again. 8 years later, i have finally read it, and even though it didn’t do much for adult me, i’m just thinking about how much it would’ve meant to my 12-year-old self if i’d read it back then. now i’m sad that i denied myself so much validation out of fear. it feels wrong to rate this, so i’m not going to try. i just wish i could’ve experienced this book for the first time back when i really needed it. gay people are so strong
  noramd | Dec 17, 2021 |
The story of two high school girls who meet in their senior year, become fast and close friends, and then move from friendship to love. They try to keep their relationship a secret because they worry that their families and friends won't understand, and when they are discovered, those worst fears become reality.
I understand why this book, published in 1982, made the 100 Banned Books list, as I suspect it had all kinds of conservative knickers in all kinds of twists. It's a great book, though, and the love story between Liz and Annie is lovingly and well told, and the uproar caused by their relationship is deftly depicted in what seems to me likely accurate terms. Recommended. ( )
1 vote electrascaife | Sep 30, 2021 |
This is a beautiful love story between two girls and the writing is very sublime. The tale of close friendship and intense first love is depicted in a very endearing way and I found myself rooting for the pair right from the beginning. The characters, their confusion, their pain - everything is very realistic and empathetic.

There is some homophobia in the story from other characters but it’s kinda true to the times but the girls also receive guidance and support from unexpected quarters. The ending is slightly bittersweet but also hopeful and we can definitely see why this book has had so much impact even after more than two decades of its publication. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |
Me ha dejado blandita (e indignada hacia el final, por razones de la trama). Y espero que se lea en institutos porque, aunque hayan pasado tantos años desde su publicación, tiene algunos aspectos aún vigentes. ( )
  essuniz | Jan 2, 2021 |
It's raining, Annie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,057,412 books! | Top bar: Always visible