The Laughter of Dead Kings

by Elizabeth Peters

Series: Vicky Bliss (6)

Vicky Bliss, peerless art historian and sleuth, searches for solutions to more than one heinous offense in the ever-shifting sands of Egypt's mysterious Valley of the Kings. When her longtime significant other, John Tregarth, the suave and dangerously charming international art thief, is accused of taking a world-famous, one-of-a-kind historic relic, it is up to Bliss to clear his name.… (more)

Review: The Laughter of Dead Kings by Elizabeth Peters. 01/22/2018

The effect Peters gives her readers is like a 1930’s comedy of manners, with a very old-fashioned plot. What is suppose to be a contemporary adventure becomes quite detached
and the characters speak in an elaborate, archaic, torturously witty fashion. I have noticed that Elizabeth Peters writing style is memorizing because of the characters she creates that gives the story a witty flow.

In this book she brings back Vicky Bliss and her British lover Sir John Smythe who is a former art thief who says he is entirely reformed. The plot revolves around recovering the body of King Tut which was stolen from his tomb and some people think a British person conned his way past a security guard and escapes into the desert with the historic relic but some others in authority are placing the blame on Sir John Smythe.

Vicky is a current assistant curator of Munich’s National Museum and Sir John searches through various exotic areas in rescue of King Tut’s remains. Vicky knows that there are a rumor going around that Sir John is the culprit who stole the Mummy from the tomb in the Valley of Kings pyramid. However, the Egyptian authorities and the Interpol are claiming they have evidence and believe strongly Sir John Smythe is the thief. Vicky Bliss is determined to prove them wrong.

These two characters, Vicky and Sir John are only dating but they make a great couple. They brought humor to the book. Peters has a way to fully develop her main characters.
  Juan-banjo | Jan 29, 2018 |
Today is a sad day Im so bummed this was the last book in the series! Im going to miss John & Vicky & Schmidt! I felt like I knew them so well & If i didnt know better, the stories were real & they are too. Lol going to try the other Peters series & hope it compares to this one! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
King Tut,Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
It's good to be back among my old friends Vicky, John and the ever adorable Schmidt (who is particularly awesome in this book). If you are looking for a mystery series that is just plain fun, do give Peters' Vicky Bliss series a go. ( )
  Cailiosa | Apr 5, 2013 |
June's reading group book. Not sure I'll bother again. Mildly entertaining - a museum type (it's never made exactly clear what she does) gets embroiled in the stealing of King Tut's mummy. Yup, it's that outlandish. She sort of solves it, assisted by an antiques dealer who used to the an antiques thief, and who is suspected of having done the deed... Mildly diverting, but it all ends far too neatly, and the loose ends get shoved under the carpet. ( )
  Helenliz | Apr 1, 2013 |

Elizabeth Petersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

to Roxie Walker
My singing doesn't inspire thousands of fans to emit screams of delight, but I was a trifle hurt when my dog jumped up with a howl and streaked for the stairs.
"I shall begin at the beginning," he announced, fondling his glass of scotch, "and continue until I reach the end. Kindly do not interrupt with questions. An occasional inquiring look will indicate you require elaboration of a particular point." (chapter 13, p.276)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,052,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible