Auntie Mame: An Irreverent Escapade (1955)

by Patrick Dennis

Series: Auntie Mame

Wildly successful when it was first published in 1955, Patrick Dennis' Auntie Mame sold over two million copies and stayed put on the New York Times bestseller list for 112 weeks. It was made into a play, a Broadway as well as a Hollywood musical, and a fabulous movie starring Rosalind Russell. Since then, Mame has taken her rightful place in the pantheon of Great and Important People as the world's most beloved, madcap, devastatingly sophisticated, and glamorous aunt. She is impossible to resist, and this hilarious story of an orphaned ten-year-old boy sent to live with his aunt is as delicious a read in the twenty-first century as it was in the 1950s.… (more)

English (43)  Italian (5)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (52)
2 stars

Mame is quite tiresome in her eccentricity.
While I can see why some would enjoy this ... escapade, for me it was too tedious to continue reading.

VERDICT : BORROW TO TRY ( )
  QuirkyCat_13 | Jun 20, 2022 |
This book is funny, nostalgic, and downright exciting. I missed the motto of the film ("Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!") in word but it was definitely there in spirit. Dennis has a sly command of the English language that evades most authors. So, one would suppose, that he could do without all the "naughty words" that pop up with a gradual increase through the book. By the time Patrick had registered for college, the situations and vocabulary surpassed the title to an extent that I was not proud of. Also his continual return to the drabbbbbbb Digest article gnaws rather. In my opinion he would have been much better off just omitting that paragraph and starting right in with the next chapter.
So, to summarize: Take a pen to the offensive words, tear out the last 4-5 chapters, and you've got yourself a novel worth reading. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
I enjoyed many of the stories in this book. Unfortunately, about halfway through I started to find the endless negative stereotypes tedious rather than funny. I suspect I would have enjoyed it more if I'd read the stories one at a time, with other things in-between. Three stars because I did enjoy it in parts, it was vividly written, and I liked more of it than I disliked. But this won't be going on my favorites list. ( )
  merrystar | Dec 3, 2020 |
Auntie Mame is one of my favorite characters of all time. I would have loved to have been her niece!

I'm not sure how I've missed this book for so long. The humor is my kind of funny. The characters are fantastic -- completely crazy for the most part, but wonderful. The author himself is intriguing. It was an absolute to joy to read every word.

A timeless gem!

StephMWard | Nov 4, 2020 |
The book is made up of various short stories that follow Patrick's childhood through adulthood. I really enjoyed this gloriously campy period piece. Yes, it’s filled with period-typical stereotypes and attitudes towards women and “foreigners”, but that didn't bother me because I don't think you can read a book published almost seventy years ago and compare it to current era-correctness.

Auntie Mame is one of the most memorable and likable characters in literature. She’s fabulous, ridiculous, charming, and mischievous. I thought this was one of the funniest comic novels I've ever read. The humor derives not only from the plotting and the complex, problematical situations which Mame (and sometimes Patrick) create but also from the writing itself, which is lively, witty, and masterful.

TBR 1460 ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
“Un relato prodigioso, ágil y clarividente. El libro está plagado de pequeñas bombas literarias que hacen estallar por los aires las relaciones y las estructuras sociales y que al lector le provocan una perenne y gratificante sonrisa desde la primera página a la última.”
added by Argounova | editEl Comercio, Fulgencio Argüelles

“La tía Mame es tan irresistible como inmune al que dirán y de un optimismo a prueba de bomba, incluso en las peores circunstancias.”
added by Argounova | editABC, Mercedes Monmany

“Divertida y alocada, aventurera y caprichosa”.
added by Argounova | editLa Vanguardia, Antonio Lozano

Patrick Dennisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Furst, HenryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nemi, OrsolaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudnick, PaulIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tanner, MichaelAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the worst manuscript typists in New York, V. V. and Mme. A.
It has rained all day.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,585,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible