The Second Sex (1949)

by Simone de Beauvoir

1,847116,945 (4.09)3 / 68
Simone de Beauvoir's essential masterwork is a powerful analysis of the Western notion of "woman," and a revolutionary exploration of inequality and otherness. Unabridged in English for the first time, this long-awaited edition reinstates significant portions of the original French text that were cut in the first English translation. Vital and groundbreaking, Beauvoir's pioneering and impressive text remains as pertinent today as when it was first published, and will continue to provoke and inspire generations of men and women to come.… (more)

English (6)  Spanish (4)  Swedish (1)  All languages (11)
FINALLY. This took me way too long, partly because of exams and partly because *life things*.
Will write a detailed review in the future, but, for now, I'll only say it has been an enriching experience, although I don't agree with many of the concepts (as the lesbians chapter) and some others are kind of aged as for nowaday's situation.
Great read, great influence on second wave feminism. Gotta learn more about this, understand this moment in history in its full extent. ( )
  feverell | May 19, 2020 |
A dense book in which de Beauvoir attempts to define a feminist view of the world, and to explain the differentiation of that view from the masculine. There is a lot of close reasoning, but a serious critique of her work will require a response by a philosopher of equal industry and intelligence. Originally published in French in 1952. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Feb 9, 2019 |
This phenomenal tome, translated very readably and completely here as far as I can tell, by Borde and Malovany-Chevallier, is utterly gripping, moving, intense, and a true life-changing experience that I know I will return to, because honestly I am returning right now, three years later- to my memory of the reading of it , and to my notes that I took during. As I reflect on the experience of reading The Second Sex now, I feel moved to share my feelings about it. Beauvoir articulates many impressions that I had never been able to put into words myself before. In doing so, she gives a voice to a deep longing of womanhood I believe. This book seems strangely un-responded to, in the wider culture. Although "feminism" seems to be taking over these days, how many people have gone back and read The Second Sex, truly understood it? It is an amazing work. Beauvoir's ideas are still haunting me - it's not a light read. I do not agree with everything in it and I imagine many people would be troubled by a lot of things in it and might even be tempted to call it "dated." But if I may judge it is still profoundly relevant. Read it.
A further note on the translation: I have a keen sensitivity to prose quality, and I found it pleasurable to read. This is not a small concern with a long, dense work. But it passed by remarkably quickly because it was just fascinating and rolled along deliciously. ( )
  puabi | Jan 27, 2019 |
Começo já falando que considero as 800 páginas de O Segundo Sexo o livro mais importante do século XX. É óbvio que não li todos os livros do século XX, mas faço idéia do que foi revolucionário ou não e nada acompanhou mais o zeitgeist dos últimos 50 anos do que o livro da Simone de Beauvoir.
Enfim, se eu pudesse escolher um único livro para obrigatoriamente ser lido em escolas e faculdades, eu escolheria esse, a linguagem é fácil e o conteúdo é salutar na igualdade de gêneros. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
"The Second Sex" by Simone de Beauvoir examines gender as a social construct in society. She argues that one reason for the oppression of women is that they are seen as "other" or "alien" in the eyes on man and masculine institutions. ( )
1 vote abruser | Feb 28, 2012 |
Many of the author’s complaints against masculine oppression are justified, her observation is often acute and subtle, and her style is elegant if also slightly pretentious and often marred by unnecessary existentialist terminology. But as one reads on and on in this Black Book of the Male Terror, one becomes at first irritated and finally wearied by the unremitting whine of her special pleading. The agony is piled on until the most wholehearted believer in the equality of the sexes—as, for instance, the present reviewer—comes to suspect that the author has written the whole enormous tract out of simple resentment that she is not a man.
added by SnootyBaronet | editEncounter, Dwight Macdonald

“What a curse to be a woman!” Beauvoir writes, quoting Kier­kegaard. “And yet the very worst curse when one is a woman is, in fact, not to understand that it is one.” No one has done more than Beauvoir to explain the conditions of that curse, and no one has more eloquently, irately challenged us to turn that curse into a blessing.

Beauvoir, Simone deprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borde, ConstanceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Malovany-Chevalier, SheilaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suni, AnnikkiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thurman, JudithIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Introduction
For a long time I have hesitated to write a book on woman.
This work is the unabridged edition. DO NOT combine it with Parshley's abridged English translation (until recently the only one available in English). Currently in the process of separating out any remaining copies of the Parshley's abridged translation, which go on a different work page.
Please do not combine this edition of The Second Sex (ISBN 978-0-307-26556-2, 0307265560, 0224078593, 9780224078597, 009949938X, 030727778X, among others) with the earlier English edition of the same work. This version is newly translated and unabridged in English for the first time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,164,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible