Angels' Blood

by Nalini Singh

Series: Guild Hunter (1)

"Vampire hunter Elena Deveraux knows she is the best--but she does not know if even she is good enough for this job. Hired by the dangerously beautiful archangel Raphael, a being so lethal that no mortal wants his attention. Elena knows failure is not an option--even if the task is impossible. Because this time, it's not a wayward vamp she has to trick. It's an archangel gone bad. The job will put Elena in the midst of a killing spree like no other--and pull her to the razor's edge of passion..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)
Recently added bynaty127, Arena800, westonm, private library, dragonlion
    Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk (TheBooknerd)
    Shadow of Angels by Kathryn Ann Kingsley (Litrvixen)
    Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (109)  Italian (2)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (112)
I read this because it was supposed to have one of the best surprises ever at the end of the book. Hmm... have these people not read much? I totally guessed what was going to happen. It was pretty obvious really. Oh well...

The book was pretty good although I was did not read it when it first came out because I was uninterested in the whole angels and vampires thing. I do like Ms. Singh's Changling series though and she is a writer who draws me into her stories. It moved fast and was fairly clear and understandable in its mythos. A lot was left to be explained in further books though and the way that was done was a bit heavy handed here and there. Kind of like the author is beating us over the head with "there's more to this story but...I'll tell you later if you're good." However, the angels being able to change the "blend"/taste of the angel dust that falls off their wings was a bit too hokey for me. Oddly enough even though I am generally not fond of vampires as a sympathetic character type, I did really like the character of Venom.

I liked the heroine. She seemed strong and cocky while still having a femine side. We didn't know as much about the hero though. Maybe that will come out in future books as I understand that these are continuing characters. The great love he had for her seemed to come out of the blue though. There wasn't enought time spent in his POV to make it plausible nor were there actions taken by him that did much to show him falling in love. He also changed from impartial almost uncaring immortal to loving almost human very rapidly. It was kind of like slight of hand. Now he's chilling...voila! now he's cuddly. I would have liked to see a more defined progression there.

I'm guessing I probably won't read the next one but not because this one was bad but because it wasn't quite my cuppa. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
So, extremely powerful dude demands very personal interactions from lady far enough below them that the main emotion he inspires in her is terror. Especially since the demand for her attention is accompanied with threats to the lives of her and everyone she cares about. And he's somehow not the villain? The idea of this world had a lot of potential, but the dynamics of the relationship was absolutely horrible. ( )
  Malaraa | Apr 26, 2022 |
Too much romance for me right now, not enough adventure. Also, an interesting world, but I'm just not sure about the angels/ vampire mix. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
Wow, this book was amazing! I can tell Nalini Singh is going to be one of my favorite authors for urban fantasy and paranomal. I completely fell for the angels, so will definitely be continuing with this series.

Elena is a hunter, and tracks vampires who have gone rogue, returning them to their angel masters. This time, however, she is hired by the head archangel Rafael to track a rogue archangel, Urim (sorry if I'm butchering all the names here. This book had some really awesome names.) The chemistry between Elena and Rafael was white hot! and I loved that Elena was not the sort of girl to get pushed around by anyone, even if the archangels are the ultimate predators. There was quite a bit of violence and some very graphic police type scenes. The world-building was complex and well thought out. Definitely recommended.

Trigger warning: violence, graphic aftermath of violence (lots of murder and rape victims described in extreme detail)

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader. ( )
  KatKinney | Mar 3, 2022 |
Reading this for a fantasy romance readalong.

I liked everything but the romance? All of the vampires and angels are total assholes, but that doesn't bother me considering I reread the Black Jewels series on a regular basis. The angel/vampire relationship felt a bit flimsy, but I can chalk that up to it being urban fantasy that's trying to be edgy. The only other thing that grated on me was that we always knew what Elena was wearing, but never what anybody else was.

But the murder-mystery-ish feeling was fine. Elena's backstory was interesting enough. The other assholes working for Raphael were at least consistent in being amusing douches.

But really, the romance aspect is the thing that really rubbed me the wrong way. Raphael is a total controlling douche who has mind-reading/control to add to his list of ways-to-control-the-weak-female. He won't listen when she tells him to stop, and everybody gets offended when Elena tries to protect herself from him (how dare she!). He was really really bad in the first half of the book, but it became consensual enough in the second half that I didn't have to throw my Kindle across the room.

I probably would have loved this in high school. ( )
  Tikimoof | Feb 17, 2022 |

Nalini Singhprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyre, JustineNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bottka Sándor MátyásTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Knese, PetraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For the real Ashwini, who is definitely not all kinds of crazy (except when I drive her to it).  Best friends -- and sisters -- don't come any better than this.
When Elena told people she was a vampire hunter, their first reaction was an inevitable gasp, followed by, You go around sticking those sharp stakes in their evil purid hearts?

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,747,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible