Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone

by Laini Taylor

Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone (1)

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (tralliott)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (432)  Italian (2)  German (1)  All languages (435)

Once upon a time,
→ an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.

→ a little girl was raised by monsters.
But angels burned the doorways to their world, and she was all alone.

→ an angel lay dying in the mist.
And a devil knelt over him and smiled.

→ there were two moons, who were sisters.
Nitid was the goddess of tears and life, and the sky was hers.

No one worshipped Ellai but secret lovers.

‘Be careful what you wish for,’

Chapter 1

From the first sentence in chapter 1 I could not stop reading – and the paragraph below I just knew I was in for an interesting ride.

A snarl, rushing footfall, and she was seized from behind, pulled hard against a man’s broad chest as hands yanked her scarf askew and she felt teeth— teeth— against her neck.
Nibbling.

Her attacker was nibbling her.

Annoyed, she tried to shake him off without spilling her coffee, but some sloshed out of her cup anyway, into the dirty snow.

Her attacker was none other than her ex-boyfriend Kazimir, who is according to Karou her stalker, also an actor going through his vampire acting skills.

Type of Characters and my choices according to pictures :
Karou – seventeen-year-old Prague art student. love painting, mysterious, brave, sarcastic, and tattooed has bright blue hair - she moved like a poem and smiled like a sphinx.

Akiva - fire and earth, powerful and rugged and real!

Chapter Development

In the next few chapters you will be introduced to some of the authors humour, as Kazimir Karou ex-boyfriend signed up to be painted as a naked model in her class, in front of all her friends. Karou to get Kazimir back for his latest scheme used some of her magic beads for wishes to make him itch in impossible places before the class.

Karou was raised by chimaera not bad demons but they are part human and part animal.
Karou collect both human and animal teeth for Brimstone a chimaera in exchange for wishes.
On one of these trips to collect these teeth Karou meets Akiva he is from the race of seraphim and they are at war with chimaera, Akiva brother and sister, Liraz and Hazael, want Karou dead, but Akiva does not listen to his brother and sister and tries to protect Karou hiding her away from them.

Throughout the story you will note that Karou do not really know where she came from or who her parents were, but this will all be revealed at the end of the story.

The relationship between Akiva and Karou was sweet. And after this instalment I cannot wait to read what will happen next in their relationship

Quote I loved

Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?
**********************************
Was he going to kiss her?
Oh god, did she have goulash breath?
Never mind. He had it, too.
Did she want him to kiss her?

Epilogue! →
That this was not the end.
… to be continued

Recommend to the following type of readers: →
Over 15 etc.

Why my rating?→
Don’t be foolish read the book!!!!

Will I read it again?→
Maybe later

My feelings while reading this: →

To the Author

This story is unique, it has depth, and there are half human / half animals that collect the teeth of humans, angels and demons, there is war.
  Savehouse | Sep 24, 2018 |
The book is broken up into 4 parts. Each part starts with what I’m going to call an invitation to the chapters; something to get your mind thinking where the chapters are going to take you in the story. Below is how each starts:

1. Once upon a time, a devil and an angel fell in love. It did not end well.
2. Once upon a time, a little girl was raised by monsters. But angels burned the doorways to their world, and she was all alone.
3. Once upon a time, an angel lay dying in the mist. And a devil knelt over him and smiled.
4. Once upon a time, there were two moons, who were sisters. Nitid was the goddess of tears and life, and the sky was hers. No one worshiped Ellai but secret lovers.

. . . I mean come on!!! How can you not get hooked just from number 1! Which is how it happened for me. I was hooked from page 1, and ripped through the book like there was no tomorrow.
Meet Karou- the 17 year old girl, trying to find herself. . . .in art school . . . in Prague. Did I mention she’s self sufficient? There’s no living with parents here for this girl! Karou happens to stand out, mainly for her electric blue coif and her random tattoos. For the most part, Karou is your typical teenager; dealing with love and heartbreak, going to school, being a best friend, and trying to figure out where she fits in to the world. Unfortunately for Karou, she doesn’t even know who she is, or if she has a family.

At the art school, Karou is infamous for her eclectic sketch books. Karou enjoys drawing chimera figures, a combination of animals and man that she claims have been her only family. With a quirky smile, people just pass her off as having an active imagination. By throwing up that quirky smile, Karou is able to pull off the absolute truth, something that is mimicked in her tattoos.

For the full review, please visit:
https://quitterstrip.wordpress.com/2016/10/24/one-might-say-you-have-a-death-wish/ ( )
  mspoet569 | Aug 18, 2018 |
“Hope can be a powerful force. Maybe there's no actual magic in it, but when you know what you hope for most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen, almost like magic.”I had some impossibly high expectations going into this book - I’ve seen the tagline around for years and have been totally entranced by it and last year Strange the Dreamer was one of my favorite reads. While this didn’t live up to my expectations, I do think Daughter of Smoke and Bone a unique story in the world of YA urban fantasy. Karou is a girl torn between two worlds and a mysterious past she can’t answer for. When she meets Akiva she begins to find answers - and trouble - in this beautifully crafted tale of monsters and morality.

Things I Liked
So I think that Brimstone might have been my favorite character. There’s just something magnetic about him - I loved his fatherly relationship with Karou and just really everything about him.

As always, Laini Taylor’s writing is absolutely stunning. She adds such depth to the fantasy elements that they layer with our world beautifully. I felt like I was transported to Prague and then to Eretz.

I always love exploring this question in stories and it never gets old, but the question of monsters: are they made or born is fantastic in any fantasy, paranormal, dystopian setting. It’s such a great duality and philosophical question that really enagages the reader.

Quotes“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love.
It did not end well.”

“Have you ever asked yourself, do monsters make war, or does war make monsters?”

“Love is a luxury."
"No. Love is an element."
An element. Like air to breathe, earth to stand on.”

“Happiness. It was the place where passion, with all its dazzle and drumbeat, met something softer: homecoming and safety and pure sunbeam comfort. It was all those things, intertwined with the heat and the thrill, and it was as bright within her as a swallowed star.”

“She had been innocent once, a little girl playing with feathers on the floor of a devil's lair. She wasn't innocent now, but she didn't know what to do about it. This was her life: magic and shame and secrets and teeth and a deep, nagging hollow at the center of herself where something was most certainly missing.”

“Was there any fate more bitter than to get what you long for most, when it's too late?”
Things I Didn’t Like
This is an audiobook exclusive grip, but I found the narrator annoying at times. This has only happened a few times to me - and always with female characters, but whenever the narrator uses a Valley accent it just gets a little cringy.

There was no plot to this story at all. I liked the wordlbuilding in the beginning and the the building feeling of closing the portals, but nothing really happened with it. This story felt very much like setup and background info, not anything that could stand on it’s own.

I found the second-half of the story to drag a lot. It was too flashback heavy and I had to skim because I just did not care. It really brought my overall enjoyment down,

So Daughter of Smoke and Bone wasn’t the homerun I was expecting, but I did like it enough to give the next book a try. The book started on a high that it couldn’t maintain for the whole story, but the worldbuilding and characters are there to make a fantastic cohesive story and I’m excited to see what comes next. ( )
  LifeofaLiteraryNerd | Aug 6, 2018 |
Seventeen year-old Karou is an art student living in Prague, has a necklace of wish granting beads and a sketch book full of frightening monsters. No one believes the monsters are real. The truth is they are chimaera and Karou's only family. As she runs mysterious errands for Brimstone, the chimaera that raised her, black hand prints begin to appear on doorways around the world, scorched there by winged strangers. A war that has been ongoing for a thousand years has spilled over into the human world and Karou is about to find herself caught in the middle.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is the first in a trilogy of the same name by Laini Taylor. The story unfolds slowly as we are introduced to Karou's life in Prague and her unusual family. Karou basically lives a double life: one of being a normal teen, going to school and regular teen problems; the other spent in a magic shop with the monsters who are her family. Taylor's imagination is vivid and highly detailed. The writing is lyrical, witty and mesmerizing in it's style. It feels like reading a fairy tale. I found myself hooked by the mystery that is Karou's world almost immediately. And now I kind of want to take a trip to Prague!

The story is not without it's faults. Being a YA romance, I ran into my most hated genre trope: insta-love. This is followed closely by all the characters being beautiful, which is basically explained as the cause for the insta-love. It's so annoying. Thankfully I found myself so caught up in the world that it didn't pull me out of the story too badly.

I was surprised at how many of the questions I had at the beginning ended up being explained. There were a few twists in the story and the book ends on a big bombshell reveal so I'm glad that the series is fully published. Hopefully the second book builds upon the great foundation that has been created. ( )
  Narilka | Jul 15, 2018 |
I'm telling myself that at least I tried, because that is what I did.

[b:Daughter of Smoke & Bone|8490112|Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)|Laini Taylor|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1461353773s/8490112.jpg|13355552] is a book that I feel like I was given the wrong impression of. I always try to go into a book without expectations, but because of all the hype around this book I certainly had some going in.

The plot just wasn't working for me. I'm not sure what it was, but it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Of the 100 pages that I read I thought it was a really interesting world and story, but just not for me. I'm not fond of stories that revolve around angels and romance, and this just wasn't working for me.

In all honesty, it reminded me a little too much of The Mortal Instruments to make me want to continue. The romance was already the main focus of the book in my opinion, and the writing wasn't my favorite.

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps Laini Taylor isn't for me. Last year I also DNF'd [b:Strange the Dreamer|28449207|Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer #1)|Laini Taylor|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1519915549s/28449207.jpg|48158509] for no reason other than it wasn't working for me. I think from here on out I might just avoid her books. Not because they're bad or I don't like them, but I'm sensing a trend here. There's plenty of people out there to love and cherish them, so my love and affection (or hate and displeasure) isn't really needed.

Is this a good book? Perhaps it could be. But I would rather take the risk of not reading a book that I could potentially like than waste my time on something that I could not enjoy.
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |

Taylor, Lainiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, LeaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
life: art student and errand
girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
of teeth exchanged for wishes
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,963,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible