Vicky Angel by Jacqueline Wilson

Vicky Angel (2000)

by Jacqueline Wilson

A novel for children. Jade is being haunted by her irreverent and teasing friend Vicky who has died in a road accident. This book tackles so many issues from guilt and grief to being dominated by teasing friends and having to cope with less than perfect parents. Far more realistic and thought-provoking than the Mallory Towers fare of my youth. ( )
  LARA335 | Feb 28, 2015 |
It's like so sad so dont read it. ( )
  emily8 | Nov 28, 2012 |
VICKY ANGEL by Jacqueline Wilson, Delacorte Press, September 2001

"My hand shakily scythes through Vicky's waist. She gets the giggles. I start giggling too. I always catch the giggles from Vicky, we get in heaps of trouble at school...Oh God, I'm in trouble now. There's a little crowd of white-faced mourners standing at the edge of the pavement, looking at the tire marks in the road and the flowers where Vicky died. They're looking at me too. And I'm laughing."

VICKY ANGEL is (excuse the pun) a haunting story about the ups and downs of the friendship between two girls. Together since nursery school, a tragic and fatal accident in ninth grade cannot keep the domineering Vicky from continuing her control over Jade's life. Vicky simply comes back in the spirit form to make Jade feel guilty about the accident, and to tell her who to, and who not to, hang out with. Always expecting to spend their lives together, will Jade now be forced to live with Vicky the Ghost and her arbitrary notions through eternity? We see Jade as she evolves into a basket case.

It is this darker side of the tale, balancing the comedic side, which has kept me thinking about this book for days:

"She doesn't leave me alone now. She's in bed beside me when I wake up. If I stretch I slice straight through her. Her face laughs into mine as I brush my teeth. She sits on the edge of the bath and chats while I'm on the toilet. She watches me dress and teases me with all her different outfits while I'm stuck with the same dreary clothes day after day. She nibbles my food, though she never leaves bite marks. She walks to school with me, nattering all the way, demanding replies. I wish there was some way of avoiding Vicky's flower site but she won't let me walk right round and go into school the back way. She loves looking at all her flowers."

While Jacqueline Wilson is primarily seen as a fun read for the 8-12's, the peer issues and the age of the characters also makes this an appropriate, quick read for middle graders . My understanding is that Wilson's books are as wildly popular with kids on both sides of the Atlantic as they are at my house. As with her previous books, VICKY ANGEL should fly off the shelves. (Yeah, okay, I'm just in one of those moods today.)

Richie Partington
Richie's Picks
BudNotBuddy@aol.com ( )
  richiespicks | May 26, 2009 |

Vicky Angel is a well-told story about grief. Jade's best friend Vicky is fatally injured in a car accident in the first chapter. Jade gradually and somewhat painfully moves away from seeing the world through Vicky's eyes, and working out how to relate to her own parent and her surviving schoolmates without her, despite her continued presence in ghostly form. In this story it is the dead Vicky, rather than Jade the narrator, who we particularly start to see through other people's eyes. ( )
  nwhyte | May 16, 2009 |
After her lifelong best friend Vicky dies, Jade struggles with grief, guilt, and the domineering personality of Vicky's ghost. ( )
  prkcs | Mar 27, 2008 |

A sensitive and imaginative story about a girl grieving for her best friend, from the hugely popular Jacqueline Wilson -- and featuring a special introduction by the author.
     'You look as if you've seen a ghost!'

Jade is so used to living in the shadow of Vicky, her loud, confident best friend, that when a tragic accident occurs, she can hardly believe that Vicky's no longer around. But Vicky's a sparky girl who's not going to let a small thing like being dead stop her from living life to the full! Whether Jade is in lessons, out running or tentatively trying to make new friends, Vicky is determined to make her presence felt.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:48 -0400)

Vicky is a sparky girl who doesn't let a small thing like being dead stop her from living. No matter what, Vicky is always making her presence felt.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,954,257 books! | Top bar: Always visible